Help with balancing phosphate to nitrates.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks giving me some issues. So I’m hoping someone has gone through this before. I have a 135gbtank with a 75g sump. 35ish gallons of the sump is a refugium. I run a pretty big skimmer. My tank has two 3in tangs. And 4 other smaller fish. The tanks rock was cured for 6-8 months before the tank was set up. And the tank has been running for around 6 months. I have new coraline growth everywhere. My fuge has recently started taking off(was doing great at first).

corals weren’t looking too happy, and I’ve never been one to test phosphates constantly. So I bought a hanna low range. Come to find out my nitrates are at 40-50ppm. And I have undetectable phosphates. Order some tri sodium phosphate. Mix it up and started dosing. Corals bounced back. Fuge took off. However, I can’t keep them up. 8ml should bring my levels up to .01ppm. I’ve been dosing almost daily for over two weeks. So far I’m sure I’ve dosed over 120ml. So theoretically I’d added enough to bring the level to .15ppm. Yet everyday. Phosphates are down to zero. If I go a day without dosing, corals start retracting. I’m just curious how long I should keep this up? Or if I should do a bigger dose and find out how much it’s actually dropping per day. Rather than dosing 8-16ml a day. I’m assuming the high nitrates are related to the low phosphates. And I’ve upped my phosphate dosing since I started carbon dosing a day ago.

curious if anyone has gone through this? Testing everyday gets expensive and time consuming. But I also don’t want to overdose. I know it will take the rocks a bit to absorb the phosphate. I’ve tried the whole “feeding more”. But that just caused my nitrates to go from 25ppm up too 50ppm. And phosphates Havnt moved.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal to have to dose way more than expected for a while.

Some is being used by creatures and some is getting bound to rock and sand. Eventually the former slows down as organisms get less hungry for it, and the latter stops as rock and sand surfaces reach equilibrium with phosphate in the water.

Dose more.

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal to have to dose way more than expected for a while.

Some is being used by creatures and some is getting bound to rock and sand. Eventually the former slows down as organisms get less hungry for it, and the latter stops as rock and sand surfaces reach equilibrium with phosphate in the water.

Dose more.
Would it be worth dosing enough to bring it up to .05ppm and watching for 2 days? Or should I shick with the daily .01-.02ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth dosing enough to bring it up to .05ppm and watching for 2 days? Or should I shick with the daily .01-.02ppm?

Nothing wrong with a boost to 0.05 ppm. It may all disappear.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back