Help with biocube 32

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just acquired this bio cube 32 for a steal and need help with what I should do. It came with sand and and dead water. Still had a dead leather coral in there I guess and some live hermit crabs and snails. The sump had those tho he in there. How should I clean this? I’m transferring my 20 gallon into this.

image.jpg image.jpg

BuddhaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the time, I'd fully clean it, and replace all media.

To clean it, I'd fill it up with water and vinegar and run it for a day. Then scrub spotless. If it's really gunked up, you can use use muriatic acid instead of vinegar, but be cautious. After scrubbing, fill it back up with fresh water to rinse it, then drain, and setup for the transfer.

As for the media tray, don't worry about media until after the transfer. You'll want to put floss there for a few days to catch all the particulates from moving everything over. Then you can put in things like carbon or gfo later on, as needed.

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the time, I'd fully clean it, and replace all media.

To clean it, I'd fill it up with water and vinegar and run it for a day. Then scrub spotless. If it's really gunked up, you can use use muriatic acid instead of vinegar, but be cautious. After scrubbing, fill it back up with fresh water to rinse it, then drain, and setup for the transfer.

As for the media tray, don't worry about media until after the transfer. You'll want to put floss there for a few days to catch all the particulates from moving everything over. Then you can put in things like carbon or gfo later on, as needed.
What about all this?
4D3F88B7-7CBF-4A40-B6BB-A6AFDCF21474.jpeg
ECE216C1-CA55-4D86-A48B-3F6CD0D9FB06.jpeg
CBBF28A8-BAA6-4275-8A4C-E835D1408802.jpeg
8FE1C364-FF97-439B-85B7-DF6ACAFBBFF0.jpeg

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like carbon/chemipure, phosgard, and ceramic bio media. Personally, I would use nothing from that tank, especially if you have you own established tank with live rock. Just replace that stuff later, if and when you need it.
I’m guessing chempure is the orange egg looking things?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean as described above. If that leather is decomposing you will want to remove the inverts before they are nuked. I based my filtration on the YouTube video Coralife Biocube Basics, Simple filter mods. Mine is over two years and is working well. I’m exhausted thinking of the cleanup ahead, good luck.

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added 6 gallons of vinegar and tap water to the rim. I threw in there all the accessories and mesh media bags. I saved some of the dead coral peices and Mexican turbo snail shells with corraline on them to hopefully clean off parasites and toxins and add the tank when it’s clean. I found a bristleworm too and saved it for cuc!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Piece of Plywood, cut it out bigger than the Top, following the same lines. Paint it with several coats of Gloss Oil Based Paint. Screw it to the existing top. This will give you a ledge to set stuff down on and protect the Cabinet from spills and drips.
IMG_3462.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Piece of Plywood, cut it out bigger than the Top, following the same lines. Paint it with several coats of Gloss Oil Based Paint. Screw it to the existing top. This will give you a ledge to set stuff down on and protect the Cabinet from spills and drips.
IMG_3462.jpeg
Where were you when I set mine up? I wish I would have done that!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the Pumps in Citric Acid. Put just enough water in the bucket to cover the pump, then add the Citric Acid, which is in the Canning Section at most ACE Hardware Stores. Also you can get Roots Circle in nice Bulk Jars from Amazon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back