Help with Birdsnest

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this for a week was fine but started turning and hasn't stopped It sits in 220 par. I just moved a powerhead closer to get better flow to it, hopefully that helps.

20221222_204746.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnests are often finicky , especially about light intensity. Some like it high, some like it lower and a lower light BN has a very difficult time adapting to high lighting (often they do not adapt and bleach out). As an example, the Ponape that I have is known to do well and keep good color in relatively lower light (145-165 PAR) while the Bird of Paradise can take 220 - 250 no problem.

They can tolerate a bit lower flow than many other true SPS like most Acros, so I wouldn't blast it too much (especially not directly from the powerhead).

For a bleaching BN, you can try giving it a bit less light (~180-200 PAR) and see if it improves.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy to me, and just like my Birds Nest, which has overgrown. The Main Body will be Brownish/Pink. The Tips will be White. It appears, the tips are new Skeleton, and the Polyps, grow over this new skeleton.

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dstockwell are you growing successfully other SPS corals in this tank? If yes and all the others are doing fine then I would maybe drop it a bit down just that the coral gets used to your lights.

If this is your only SPS it could be the stage (water / age of the tank etc.) of your tank that affects your coral. Newly bought corals are sometimes hardier than we think and can tolerate "non optimal" conditions of the new tank for couple days till they get effected by it.

I agree with @Nano sapiens, I would not necessarily move the powerhead closer or direct flow or so.

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dstockwell ok, if you can keep a torch and a hammer alive the water is most likely ok.

I had some birdsnest in the past and sometimes it is a little hit or miss. If the polyps stay inside and the white parts increase I would probably put it in the sand bed for couple days and see if this makes it better or worse. 220 PAR sounds about ok I would say.

Do you have any Idea about the parameter (PAR) from the place you have the coral from? If I buy a new coral and have the chance I always ask the previous owner about some of the general parameters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tissue loss not uncommon with birdsnest when a sudden change occurs. Often a jump in temperature alone will upset them as will salinity level high. Other factors that cause this is :
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays

OBVIOUSLY DO A PROCESS OF ELIMINATION

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds nest is very hardy and can come back. Don’t give up on it and get things stable. Mine started from a small frag and I have sold large quantities of it over 2 1/2 rears.

1671765139485.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back