Birdsnest dying

Timandkatereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’m having some issues with my Birdsnest suddenly dying… yesterday I noticed it began to bleach. I then tested.

The first two images.

IMG_7334.jpeg
IMG_7336.jpeg

I then checked this morning and it’s totally bleached after work I tested and the findings were
IMG_7339.jpeg

IMG_7338.png

I know that my mag and alk are low and I’m trying to figure out a better system in dosing.
I am running al prime hd with eddie putra settings.

This tank has been established since December of 2023
I was told birdsnest corals by this app and employees they prefer direct flow. What is causing this.

Last edited:

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was the frag? I personally run my tank at 78-79 degrees. And maybe not enough light down in the sand there.

OP
OP
T

Timandkatereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old was the frag? I personally run my tank at 78-79 degrees. And maybe not enough light down in the sand there.
I moved the frag from the top to the bottom. I’m not really sure I bought it from a store on March 1st

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looks dead. The tank also looks rather new, this is a more difficult coral, sps do better in more mature tanks.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats a brand new tank lol.

I also see its on the sand, its normally placed higher in the tank, it likes higher light and flow. AI Prime is barely strong enough to keep many sps.

The Alk is somewhat lower than 'average', so a change of alk going into your tank could have affected it....

It could have been many things, but sort of points to the tank and your knowledge and experience being too new. (not meaning to offend, this is a difficult hobby and takes time to learn)

I would suggest that montipora (caps, digitata's, and setosa's) and pavona are much easier sps to begin with

OP
OP
T

Timandkatereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats a brand new tank lol.

I also see its on the sand, its normally placed higher in the tank, it likes higher light and flow. AI Prime is barely strong enough to keep many sps.

The Alk is somewhat lower than 'average', so a change of alk going into your tank could have affected it....

It could have been many things, but sort of points to the tank and your knowledge and experience being too new. (not meaning to offend, this is a difficult hobby and takes time to learn)

I would suggest that montipora (caps, digitata's, and setosa's) and pavona are much easier sps to begin with
So the first two weeks it started to grow a lot showing great polyps and then one night it looked like this… I don’t believe it’s the “new tank”. it was moved down to the bottom after noticing it bleached…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back