Help with CO2 Scrubber

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I’m hoping to resolve is stability with my Ph in my 70G fish tank. I installed on Wednesday Aug 7th. I was able to leave the windows open this week also. I'm not seeing what I would hope to see. On the 12th I left the windows closed. My build thread has more info if you would like more detail.

I know the air is going through the scrubber as I notice moisture build-up in the bottom of the CO2 scrubber. It is connected to my Reef Octopus eSsence S-130. I wonder if my skimmer is not big enough. Any thoughts on how I can use the Jumbo Scrubber if my skimmer is too small?
1565703615013.png

Here is the setup before I put it in.
1565703389110.png

Here it is all hooked up.
1565703420923.png

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always frustrating feeling like solutions work for everyone but you so I understand especially since you got a good size scrubber.

My first suggestion would be to recalibrate your pH probe. You’d be surprised how many of these threads end up with pH probe calibration being the issue. At least put the probe in the calibration solution for a minute and see if the reading matches the stated pH of the solution to see if the probe is correct.

It is possible that the skimmer is too small to keep up with the CO2 being added to the tank, but I don’t think that is the main issue since that skimmer is still “oversized” according to its specs.

As far as the pH stability is concerned, a swing of 0.2 is fairly insignificant. I have a frag tank that swings from 7.9 to 8.5 every day.

It doesn’t look like the pH is getting very high even with the windows open so I’d say pH is not the primary issue. Where do you keep your alkalinity?

If you had success getting the pH where you wanted it with the windows open then the scrubber could fix the problem but I’d consider the other areas that CO2 could be added to the tank. Lots of surface turbulence, or an imperfectly adjusted overflow valve, for example, could both be adding CO2 faster than the scrubber is removing it. What is the air line size going to and from the scrubber?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer on a Waterbox 100.3, and it is connected to a (non-recirculating) standard BRS carbon dioxide scrubber housing. I maintain a consistent pH of 8.1-8.3, and my skimmer is set to turn of at 8.5 since it increase to that when Ohio’s weather is comfortable enough to leave the windows open.

I suggest verifying your pH probe’s accuracy by performing the actions that @COreef8 stated above.

How many people and animals reside in your home? I ask because my wife, our dog, and I live in a three-story townhome apartment, and my pH was consistently 7.6-7.8 before adding the scrubber. It would increase if I opened the windows for a day or two, and while we were away for weekends, but I couldn’t get the pH any higher than 8.0 on good days. That was with only two humans and one animal in a nicely-sized apartment.

I empathize about your situation because equipment and medias are not cheap in this hobby, and sometimes it takes a village to raise an aquarium. With that said, I suggest that you perform the steps for verifying your pH probe’s accuracy and letting us know if that made any difference.

OP
OP
Lucidbeam

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first suggestion would be to recalibrate your pH probe. You’d be surprised how many of these threads end up with pH probe calibration being the issue. At least put the probe in the calibration solution for a minute and see if the reading matches the stated pH of the solution to see if the probe is correct.

Will do that tonight when I get home.

It doesn’t look like the pH is getting very high even with the windows open so I’d say pH is not the primary issue. Where do you keep your alkalinity?

Alk sits around 7.9 - 8.4

What is the air line size going to and from the scrubber?

1/2 all the way through

How many people and animals reside in your home?

Wife, 2 boys, 2 dogs. Kids still aren’t back in school yet. 3 floor house.

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do that tonight when I get home.

Alk sits around 7.9 - 8.4

1/2 all the way through

Wife, 2 boys, 2 dogs. Kids still aren’t back in school yet. 3 floor house.

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Yeah that’s a lot of carbon dioxide output in one house, and I feel your pain.

My pH has been sitting right around 8-8.3 with a CO2 scrubber, then I went on a 2 day trip with my wife and 2 dogs. While I was gone the pH went up to 8.6, and it has never gone above 8.3 before. It makes a big difference.

OP
OP
Lucidbeam

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the probe in 7.00 and it was reading 7.09. I then calibrated and it now reads 7.00. The good thing is during testing my Skimmer did shut off and my fresh air valve opened when I put the probe in the 10.00 solution.

Here is a graph of my pH for a month. Family mini vacations on the 12th. Dang mouth breathers.
1565782380555.png

OP
OP
Lucidbeam

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking the connections a couple nights ago. Reconnect everything. Noticed that the air intake seemed higher than the past. My pH acted like I expected with the CO2 scrubber. The next day it didn't seem to be working. The air intake seemed low. I'm going to pull my skimmer out this weekend and give it a good cleaning. With the skimmer out I will also go back and look at each connection.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I’m hoping to resolve is stability with my Ph in my 70G fish tank. I installed on Wednesday Aug 7th. I was able to leave the windows open this week also. I'm not seeing what I would hope to see. On the 12th I left the windows closed. My build thread has more info if you would like more detail.

I know the air is going through the scrubber as I notice moisture build-up in the bottom of the CO2 scrubber. It is connected to my Reef Octopus eSsence S-130. I wonder if my skimmer is not big enough. Any thoughts on how I can use the Jumbo Scrubber if my skimmer is too small?
1565703615013.png

Here is the setup before I put it in.
1565703389110.png

Here it is all hooked up.
1565703420923.png
Where did you get that connector elbow you inserted into the cup lid hole?

OP
OP
Lucidbeam

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I used.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back