Help with Co2 scrubber

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this been going on for more than one round of media? I ask because I once had a bad batch of scrubber media. I swear it must have been depleted right out of the bag. Swapped it out and bam back in business. I also learned to use a whole bag of media at once. Anything that doesn’t fit, I don’t reuse, never works after sitting, even in a sealed bag.

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this been going on for more than one round of media? I ask because I once had a bad batch of scrubber media. I swear it must have been depleted right out of the bag. Swapped it out and bam back in business. I also learned to use a whole bag of media at once. Anything that doesn’t fit, I don’t reuse, never works after sitting, even in a sealed bag.
Nope. I hooked the co2 scrubber up about 3 months ago but just recently decided to see if I could get it to work better because I read about all these people that hook them up and within a few hours their ph is pegged at 8.3. For most people they work so good that they have to have their apex control it so it doesn’t raise their ph too high. And I have a vacuum sealer that I use to store my co2 media. I also use it for my DI resin for my RO system. It works great to keep the media fresh because it removes all of the air from the package

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If outside air isn’t doing it either it’s your air draw, you having more air exchange elsewhere in the tank, need a bigger skimmer

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If outside air isn’t doing it either it’s your air draw, you having more air exchange elsewhere in the tank, need a bigger skimmer
I have an old Bubblemagus NA9. I just ordered a new pump for it last night so when that comes I’ll have to see if that does the trick

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 180 gallons of water content. I use a 1000 gram jar filter from ATI. It gives a 0.3 boost in Ph. With calcium reactor running I have a steady 8.2 ph. Before the calcium reactor it was 8.3 to 8.4.

I consider it a perfect solution. My aquarium loves it. I did years of kalk wasser. Its messy and did not give 0.3 boost. This is a no mess, instant solution that takes 10 seconds to install. I just put it on and let it go. I lost 4 or 5 snails and the tripneustes urchin was stressed. In hindsight, I would use a timer and run it 1 hour on and 2 off for day one, then 1 and 1, then 2 on 1 off, and then let it go.

Putting it up high close to the ceiling can help a lot. CO2 hangs out near the floor.

ati-carboex_bg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for giving me another option. I’m pretty sure we figured out that the reason my co2 scrubber isn’t helping is bc my skimmer isn’t big enough for my tank. I’m currently running a curve 7 but I have an older NAC9 skimmer that needed a new pump. I got the pump I just haven’t got around to hooking it up yet

jaymondjedrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a co2 scrubber do I need for a 180 gallon tank? I have the icecap medium scrubber hooked to my curve 7 protein skimmer and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Im also dosing 2400ml of kalkwasser a day but my ph still struggles to get over 8.0 unless all the windows in my house are open. Then it gets up to 8.2. With summer coming I won’t be able to keep the windows open because the central air is will be on. So if I get a bigger scrubber or add a second one will that make a difference with my ph or will it just make the media last longer?
In order to rise your pH with the present skimmer - yes but in order to ensure your animals health - no - IMO

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 180 gallons of water content. I use a 1000 gram jar filter from ATI. It gives a 0.3 boost in Ph. With calcium reactor running I have a steady 8.2 ph. Before the calcium reactor it was 8.3 to 8.4.

I consider it a perfect solution. My aquarium loves it. I did years of kalk wasser. Its messy and did not give 0.3 boost. This is a no mess, instant solution that takes 10 seconds to install. I just put it on and let it go. I lost 4 or 5 snails and the tripneustes urchin was stressed. In hindsight, I would use a timer and run it 1 hour on and 2 off for day one, then 1 and 1, then 2 on 1 off, and then let it go.

Putting it up high close to the ceiling can help a lot. CO2 hangs out near the floor.

ati-carboex_bg.jpg
Is this co2 scrubber media or is it something I just put near the tank?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back