Help with coral I.D.?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to the LFS a few days ago and saw that they had a sale on one of their frag tanks. Nothing really stuck out to me and some of the frags looked unhealthy, but my girlfriend said "I like the pink one" so I bought the pink one. Unfortunately the staff couldn't give me an answer on what exactly it was, so I was wondering if the community could help me out

20200929_185222.jpg

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an almost dead favia or acan echinata

Not sure about it being an acan or favia, the coral seems to be growing in a mat like fashion rather than from a skeleton.

But yeah it definitely wasn't healthy when I picked it up, and still doesn't look too happy. One of the heads had some kind of brown slime growing on it, and that frag tank was absolutely infested with hair algae. I thought the slime was the coral melting, but it’s almost completely cleared up over the last few days.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised they sold that to you, looks almost I thought that was just skeleton with some coraline or cyano on it but if there is tissue there is hope. If you google favia skeleton that looks pretty spot on. :(

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back