Help with crazy ammonia test results?

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am cycling a tank and just did my tests and the ammonia is reading off the charts high. I have never seen this dark a color show up with a test... Could my test kit have gone bad? I am keeping it in the garage where it is a bit hotter than the rest of the house... If not what should I do? Thanks in advance!

TD2K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started curing out live rock, my ammonia test is a really dark blue-green. I did a big water change last night, will check again tonight. My test is brand new.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm take your water to a fish store. If you are not seeing losses in the tank then it might be a false reading.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily there are no fish in the tank so no loss to be had... I will take water into a store just to be sure but when I cured live rock in my biocube with a fish less cycle it never got that dark of a color... Hopefully it's a bad test kit, but if my ammonia is that high do I just do a water change? And what percent should I do?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back