Help with cycling

aaronstoll95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with my cycle my ammonia is at 0 my nitrites is at 5ppm and nitrates or at 10ppm is my tank ready since I am seeing nitrates or do I need to wait for the nitrites to drop?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are not harmful to saltwater fish as they are to freshwater fish, but just in case I would do a 10-20% water change and then dose more ammonia. Just to be sure that your cycle is finished. If the ammonia turns into nitrates within a couple days then you should be alright to add fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, nitrites are not harmful at this level to most fish. They can be for some inverts. I would not be shocked if the nitrites come down to almost nothing tomorrow.

You should be OK to slowly and smartly get some fish and progress. Your tank will not be anywhere near done, so have some patience.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot accurately measure nitrate in the presence of nitrite.

The drop in ammonia and presence of nitrite indicates ammonia is being processed and you can begin stocking slowly. Once nitrite goes down, and it may take awhile, only then can you trust your nitrate measurement. Until them, don't bother. Ammonia level is our concern and we can directly measure that, no need to rely on a nitrate measurement.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most think that more ammonia will lead to more AOB (ammonia oxidizing bacteria), but this is not true. The ones that you have can process the new ammonia that you add.

While the tank will expand the AOB populations as needed, let the ecosystem do this - this is why the cycle is never ending and cyclical so that each small part, like AOB, can expand and contract as needed.

If you are going to wait a while before fish, then you could add a bit if it makes you feel better. There are PLENTY of google scholar articles that show that AOB and the heterotrophs that will also use ammonia do die back in the absence, but they also quickly rebound. It probably is not necessary, but real science is real science to some.

Save that ammonia for when you have corals - they will very much like it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back