Help with Cynaria

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, i picked up this really sad looking Cynaria at my LFS 3 days ago for 20 bucks. Any advice on keeping it happy and helping it recover? I feed my tank LRS Reef frenzy, and dose Reefenergy AB+ daily and reefroids weekly. Nitrates hover around 10-15 and phosphates are at 0.02.

20231106_223421.jpg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it somewhere with low/indirect flow as well as low-moderate lighting then observe it for the first day or so before trying to target feed it some of your Reef Frenzy (I would soak a piece in the Reef Energy for 10-15 minutes first to try to really help it get some aminos).

If it starts to swell and open up you can move it after a couple weeks to somewhere with more lighting but they're not big fans of strong flow as their skeletons can actually cut their tissue.

OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it somewhere with low/indirect flow as well as low-moderate lighting then observe it for the first day or so before trying to target feed it some of your Reef Frenzy (I would soak a piece in the Reef Energy for 10-15 minutes first to try to really help it get some aminos).

If it starts to swell and open up you can move it after a couple weeks to somewhere with more lighting but they're not big fans of strong flow as their skeletons can actually cut their tissue.
Thanks! I hadn't considered soaking the LRS in the Reefenergy, I'll definitely do that. How often should I be target feeding it?

OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had poor luck bringing them back when they start looking that badly. Hopefully your luck will be better.
If it starts to stink it's gone.
To be honest I bought it knowing it may very well die on me, but I figured for 20 bucks it won't be a huge loss if it does

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, i picked up this really sad looking Cynaria at my LFS 3 days ago for 20 bucks. Any advice on keeping it happy and helping it recover? I feed my tank LRS Reef frenzy, and dose Reefenergy AB+ daily and reefroids weekly. Nitrates hover around 10-15 and phosphates are at 0.02.

20231106_223421.jpg
I've had worse come back.

Put it somewhere with very little flow and gentle light.
I wouldn't feed it anything until it starts to puff up.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I bought it knowing it may very well die on me, but I figured for 20 bucks it won't be a huge loss if it does
And if you nurse it back to health even better.
I wasn't trying to be negative in my previous post, it was more to mention the sniff test as some folks aren't familiar with it.

OP
OP
KarlSharx

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you nurse it back to health even better.
I wasn't trying to be negative in my previous post, it was more to mention the sniff test as some folks aren't familiar with it.
No worries, you're good lol. And yeah, I had a run in with BJD when my tank was only 3 months old so I smell all my LPS, and this one smelled fine luckily

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back