Help with drill bit sizes and pipe

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to convert my 55 gallon and use an empty 29 gallon as the sump. Can anyone tell me what the "standard" size for pipe and drill bits would be? Going to be using the bean animal sump setup me thinks.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on the overflow that you use... some come with drill bits for glass sized to the bulkhead that is used on the overflow.
Regardless, it will depend on the size of the bulkhead you intend on using.

Here is a good example and one that comes with the bit.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what 55 tank you have, but most of the conventional 55's have tempered glass, and that can't be drilled. There's is a simple test to check if the glass is tempered....a phone and polarized sunglasses is all you need.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what 55 tank you have, but most of the conventional 55's have tempered glass, and that can't be drilled. There's is a simple test to check if the glass is tempered....a phone and polarized sunglasses is all you need.
I believe the oceanic 55 are ok to drill (need to double check) bit otherwise the majority you're right, can't.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain the test -

Hold the illuminated phone screen one side of the glass panel you wish to drill. Look through polarised lens from the other side of the glass at the phone screen. If the glass looks like it has tiny cracks all over it, that is tempered glass and would shatter if you attempt to drill it. If there are no tiny cracks you're good to drill it.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning from somebody who just set up a 55 with a 29 sump. Make sure you leave plenty of room between tank stand and top of sump haha. I wish I had planned better and built my stand a few inches taller.
Thank you, I actually got a used SCA 80 gallon setup w/ 26 gallon sump for cheap. It's less than a year old. So the DIY is gonna have to wait!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I've used a 29g tall as a 1 compartment sump with return under a Marineland 120.
They make overflow drill kits with bits and templates. Look at those and order individually if its cheaper I guess
D

Back