Help with eln 48 60p drivers

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first time using meanwell drivers. Using 3 watt leds I'm running 2 parallel strings of 14. I do not have anything hooked to the dimmable wires. With other dimmable drivers iv used in the past if no voltage was on the dimmable wires they would burn at full power. Anybody else ran into this problem? The leds will ramp up from dim to full power when ever I unplug the driver from ac after about 5 seconds of the driver being unplugged. Iv checked every led with a volt meter and all light up.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those drivers need a dimming signal to operate. They will not power your LEDs unless you have something providing that dimming signal.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big relief!!!!!! Thank you so much now to come with a pmw controller until I figure out my aundro micro controller

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An open circuit on the dimming wires is interpreted as 0% dimming. PWM on thr arduino isn't too bad. Don't try and program the timing directly though. Use a PWM line and program the rate to it.

analogWrite(pin, dutyCycle)

dutyCycle is from 0 to 255

Also, that driver won't come on until you are at 15%. So test it at 50% or so just to give yourself some piece of mind. :)

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv never messed with the aundro or the raspberry pi but I have some plc programming skills. Not sure how much will translate to the other micro computers. Working on a diy lighting for my 220 build. Off subjec on the original post but iv been running 320 watts of led over a 55. Running 3 watt leds at about 2 watts, 600ma and about 3.4 volts each. The watts reading is according to a killowatt meter. What's some number of led watts other people are running on there tanks?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arduinos are easy to program. You'll see. There are tons of tutorials and it is fairly similar to programming a PLC.

Watts per gallon doesn't really apply with LEDs. You're looking for PAR or lux in the right range and the right colors.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was careful not to ask about over all watts per gallon. Was just wanting to get some insight of what people have and what's working for them. Love to hear from the diy guys. I had planned on using the meanwell drivers for dusk and dawn. I'd have 120 leds total on the 4 meanwell dimmable drivers. After dawn I'd have 300 more watts of blue turn on and probably 150 whites along with 100 watts of reds pinks Uvs and a few green just for fun. Also have some spare t5 ballasts I'll probably end up using as well. I love my oscars but I'm ready to get the 220 wet with some saltwater!!!!!

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0006.JPG

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was careful not to ask about over all watts per gallon. Was just wanting to get some insight of what people have and what's working for them. Love to hear from the diy guys. I had planned on using the meanwell drivers for dusk and dawn. I'd have 120 leds total on the 4 meanwell dimmable drivers. After dawn I'd have 300 more watts of blue turn on and probably 150 whites along with 100 watts of reds pinks Uvs and a few green just for fun. Also have some spare t5 ballasts I'll probably end up using as well. I love my oscars but I'm ready to get the 220 wet with some saltwater!!!!!
You really want to avoid thinking about how many watts of LEDs you have. Optics play a big part as well as placement, in addition to color spectrum.

The highest density of chlorophyl in our corals is in the blue color spectrum. Most people also like the "pop" of blue LEDs. Royal blue CREEs are a typical go-to for DIY setups, but there are a ton of choices. You'll likely have more blues than anything else.

Next in line is the "daylight" spectrum. Cool White CREEs are again a typical go-to here. Those will number about 75% of the number of blues.

After that it is all about visual preference. I like the extra pop of UV LEDs so I add violets. You only need a few of them spaced across the tank. Some people add a couple reds and a couple greens for visual purposes, but they really aren't for the corals' benefit.

Next you need to think about optics. If you are mounting the typical 10-12" off the water, you can go with 60 degree optics. Some people forgo the optics altogether and just run the LEDs at a higher intensity.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at some of the DIY LED suppliers out there for inspiration too. RapidLED has some nice setups for example.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I have a few extra drivers I though about getting some of the cree royal blues. I have 90 degree optics on the way, they are the second Set I have ordered. The first set I ordered was to big. I soldered led beads to a pcb I ordered and didn't think about fitting optics on them. I believe the leds I have are 120 degree optics. Iv never ran optics before, on my 55 I didn't feel like it needed it. My current leds are about 6 inches off the water. And being none dimmable they run at a constant 600ma with 700ma being max

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optics really help with deeper tanks. The built in optics work well enough IME for a lot of applications.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90s came in they are rather small compared to the other set of optics but the good news is they fit on the board

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put the optics on one side of my tank to see if I can tell a difference. I always liked doing small experiments my self just to see if the time and money is worth. I did get the meanwell a working thanks a million. Finished one panel of 2 100 watt drivers and one meanwell

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be worth it buy an inexpensive lux meter from Amazon.com. Our eyes are really lousy at telling light levels. You can get one for under $20.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back