Help with fish!!

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. i have a longnose hawk fish and i cannot get him to eat he hasn’t eaten in a few days and it’s like he doesn’t care that the food is around him he doesn’t even notice. he’s been sitting in the same spot for awhile now he usually moves around throughout the day and perches. any thoughts on what i can do?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. i have a longnose hawk fish and i cannot get him to eat he hasn’t eaten in a few days and it’s like he doesn’t care that the food is around him he doesn’t even notice. he’s been sitting in the same spot for awhile now he usually moves around throughout the day and perches. any thoughts on what i can do?
Ask the LFS where you got him what he was eating there?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had him for a few months now and he usually goes crazy for the frozen music shrimp but right now nothing.
oh ok, you didn't state that in the post. I will leave it up to one of the fish medics here then. Fish can get constipation to which may prevent them from eating and going number 2. you may want to google that and see if any simple remedies to try.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
One thing I know, these guys will go after ornamental shrimp. Try grass shrimp or feeder shrimp , even Live brine shrimp which should entice it

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carnivore, try adjusting the food, buy live and frozen, just mix it up meaning offer variety, only add in small doses/ spot feed.
It might be bored of regular food, maybe to much and it's doing a big pooh?
Indigestion problems

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
One thing I know, these guys will go after ornamental shrimp. Try grass shrimp or feeder shrimp , even Live brine shrimp which should entice it
i drip acclimated hom for around 30 minutes when i got him a few months ago. i might try some other shrimp

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i drip acclimated hom for around 30 minutes when i got him a few months ago. i might try some other shrimp
not enough time and after drip, did you verify the salinity matched that of the tank prior to release ?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he’s just chilling here he’s hardly breathing.

Attachments

• E8183549-909E-4011-BF32-8262C09F2BD3.jpeg
    E8183549-909E-4011-BF32-8262C09F2BD3.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i’m not sure exactly what’s going on. he’s just sitting there not moving he’s breathing so he’s alive but he looks bad. 2 weeks ago i lost 2 fish then last week another fish so maybe some disease has entered the tank? but there’s nothing physical on any of the fish thatre doing well

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i’m not sure exactly what’s going on. he’s just sitting there not moving he’s breathing so he’s alive but he looks bad. 2 weeks ago i lost 2 fish then last week another fish so maybe some disease has entered the tank? but there’s nothing physical on any of the fish thatre doing well
Ick can act like that, a fish dies, then sometime after, another, and so on, slowly, over time. It does not have to be seen, however will affect breathing and eating.
So keep a watch is all you can do.

are there other fish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick can act like that, a fish dies, then sometime after, another, and so on, slowly, over time. It does not have to be seen, however will affect breathing and eating.
So keep a watch is all you can do.
is there any treatment i can do for the tank? or anything in general i can do?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any treatment i can do for the tank? or anything in general i can do?
Impossible to treat without knowing what the issue is.
You indicate your losing fish, this can be ick.

You can try Ruby Rally, but I stick to copper and hypo, they will work. We don’t know what’s in some in-tank treatments.

If fish keep slowly dying, one by one but not fast, Then I might jump to the conclusion, ick is present.

who’s left?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to treat without knowing what the issue is.
You indicate your losing fish, this can be ick.

You can try Ruby Rally, but I stick to copper and hypo, they will work. We don’t know what’s in some in-tank treatments.

If fish keep slowly dying, one by one but not fast, Then I might jump to the conclusion, ick is present.

who’s left?
okay. when you say copper do you mean copper power? and the fish that are left are 2 clowns a flame hawk and a fire fish

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. when you say copper do you mean copper power? and the fish that are left are 2 clowns a flame hawk and a fire fish
to start i had 2 clowns, a flame hawk the long nose hawk, a royal flasher wrasse (for ab a week and then he died) a diamond goby and a yellow watchman goby.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back