Help with Flow

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help getting my flow the way I want it. I've got a Red Sea Reefer 250 and 2 EcoTech MP40s and 2 MP10s. I have the 40s on either side of the tank and the 10s in the back. During their break-in period as I ramped up the speed I noticed my sand (CaribSea special grade) being blown around. Particularly it's disappearing from the center of the tank and piling up at the sides. On the left it's pretty much right below the powerhead. On the right it's further back in the tank than the powerhead. I attempted to crank all the heads down to 5%, which did stop the sand from blowing around; but I noticed I had virtually no surface agitation.

The MP40s are both about 8" below the water's surface, which puts them almost 10" above the sand bed. The left one is about 7" from the front glass, and the right is about 4" from the front glass.

The left MP10s is about 10" below the water line, and 8" above the sand bed. The right is about 14" below the water line, and 3" above the sand bed.

The powerheads are placed in those locations because of the aquascape (to ensure they're not directly blasting the rocks). The pictures are of when the tank was first setup, so it doesn't show the sand disturbance. The red circles indicate where the MP10s are on the back glass.

My goal is to have no dead spots (hence why I put the MP10s on the back), good surface agitation, and no sand bed disturbance.

Suggestions?

EDIT - Note - I'm likely going to remove the MP10s because they have trouble sticking anyway. Glass is too thick.

2687313-1b6db854613be22cd01b235370b53273.jpg 2687315-77c273114a8ca8fd85192f2a891b55ee.jpg 2687314-2eefd76f6fa3e5c28fdac7592c380b69.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 1 mp40 on reefcrest mode then.

If you are blowing special grade around the tank you have too much flow.
Are you using these on constant speed?
Yes. I used constant speed for the break-in period. And right now I'm using it to find out what percentage I can run them at, without blowing the sand around.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I used constant speed for the break-in period. And right now I'm using it to find out what percentage I can run them at, without blowing the sand around.
Constant speed will blow sand.
I would recommend using just the 1 mp40 for your 1/2" glass.
Mp10s not recommended for 1/2" but it works just fine if the dry side is suspended properly.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too think that’s a bit overkill for that volume tank. My advice would be remove the mp10’s for now and alternate with the MP40’s so they are offset on the sides of the tank. This will provide for better water movement all around the tank and you’ll probably notice increased surface agitation aswell. I edited one of the pics so you can see what I mean.

Best of luck,
Kyle

787EE82C-466E-41C8-9D79-A37679BCED42.jpeg

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too think that’s a bit overkill for that volume tank. My advice would be remove the mp10’s for now and alternate with the MP40’s so they are offset on the sides of the tank. This will provide for better water movement all around the tank and you’ll probably notice increased surface agitation aswell. I edited one of the pics so you can see what I mean.

Best of luck,
Kyle

787EE82C-466E-41C8-9D79-A37679BCED42.jpeg
With that setup, would you recommend making setting up the slave/child relationship as sync or still use anti-sync?

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that setup, would you recommend making setting up the slave/child relationship as sync or still use anti-sync?
I’ve never used MP pumps personally but I would say from my experience with WP25’s that Anti-Sync would probably be the better option. If they both are operating at the same rate eventually the flow will meet somewhere in the middle and disperse which could leave you with more unwanted spots of sand buildup ( or lack thereof ) in that area. With Anti-Sync only one pump will be pushing at any given moment so the flow pattern is going to be much more chaotic (random) ! Hope that helps

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent programmed these in quite a while but i thought they had to be progammed master/slave and then set to sync or anti sync.

I would try both. You are going to need to dial it in to your specific setup.
I always used anti sync so there was no opposing flow to fight with.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent programmed these in quite a while but i thought they had to be progammed master/slave and then set to sync or anti sync.

I would try both. You are going to need to dial it in to your specific setup.
I always used anti sync so there was no opposing flow to fight with.
Yeah. In the app you set one powerhead up how you want it. Then you go into the other powerhead(s) and set them to "child", pick the powerhead to be a slave to, and then pick your sub-option of Sync, Anti-sync, or EcoSmart Back (if the powerhead is on the back of the tank).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the XL300 tank basically same as yours. I run 2 MP40s on side glass 3 inches below the water line in a mixed reef tank. Set on lagoon mode at 40% during the day and 28 overnight.

Attachments

• 20220718_144128.jpg
    20220718_144128.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck getting it how you wanted ?
Still working on it. I moved the 40s up so the distance from the water line down to the top of the powerhead is 3”. Removed the 10s and turned the 40s down to 20%. I ended moving the left 40 further to the back. This stopped all the sand movement. Problem was the current was pushing water into the overflow more than normal causing frequent gurgling. So I pulled it forward until it didn’t look like the flow was pushing too much water over the weir. Just did that today so we’ll see, but it looks like the two head’s flow is colliding again causing some sand disturbance.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on it. I moved the 40s up so the distance from the water line down to the top of the powerhead is 3”. Removed the 10s and turned the 40s down to 20%. I ended moving the left 40 further to the back. This stopped all the sand movement. Problem was the current was pushing water into the overflow more than normal causing frequent gurgling. So I pulled it forward until it didn’t look like the flow was pushing too much water over the weir. Just did that today so we’ll see, but it looks like the two head’s flow is colliding again causing some sand disturbance.
Even in anti sync on reefcrest or lagoon?
Maybe the single 40 would be all you need turned up a bit

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in anti sync on reefcrest or lagoon?
Maybe the single 40 would be all you need turned up a bit
Anti-sync reefcrest. Keep in mind anti-sync doesn’t mean one is off while the other is on. Just means one is ramping down while the other is going up. My next try is going to be cranking them down to 15%. The sand is BARELY moving. So that 5% less should be the final thing I need.

I agree with this , I would get rid of the mp10s
They’re gone already.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anti-sync reefcrest. Keep in mind anti-sync doesn’t mean one is off while the other is on. Just means one is ramping down while the other is going up. My next try is going to be cranking them down to 15%. The sand is BARELY moving. So that 5% less should be the final thing I need.

They’re gone already.
Switch to lagoon mode. It has random flow changes to just not as harsh as reefcrest. Big wave flow constantly banging your sidewalls is not good for tank seems. You will be fine at 30 or 35 % anti sync.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just one of those things that you’re gonna have to tinker with. It took me about three days till I managed to find the right % power, wave settings & flow direction to get bypass the sand dunes. I’m not sure how much of a PITA this would be on MP but my suggestion now would be to start the pumps on the lowest power setting possible, move the sand where you want it and then just observe what happens flow wise for a good 5-10 minutes. Increase the power by 1-5% at a time till you find the sweet spot for the aqua scape & overflow.

Back