Help with goni

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniapora was doing well for a week now retracted I’ve moved around the tank not sure what to do, salinity @.024 any suggestions?
IMG_2792.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniapora was doing well for a week now retracted I’ve moved around the tank not sure what to do, salinity @.024 any suggestions?
IMG_2792.jpeg
How many days did you let it sit inbetween moving? With gonis they can take days sometimes a week to actual show whether or not the spot is suitable....

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - also, check more than your salinity - phosphates, alkalinity (esp recent swings) or any other parameter changes can make a lot of corals grumpy.

In my experience gonis enjoy at least some detectable nutrients in the water.

Has your salinity always been at (1.)024? I'd slowly raise to 1.026 (35ppt) over the course of a few days/weeks. Could also be too much light or something picking at it. Hard to say without more info or parameters.

All coral takes a bit to adjust to being moved- if it's not glued down, maybe some livestock is irritating it or bumping it. Give it at least a day or so in the new location, ensuring it has good flow as mentioned above

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to both, I let it sit 3 days before moving, I’m gonna let my salinity go up through evaporation and have cut off the auto fill which overfilled and lowered salinity. I’ve been dosing all for reef recently as of yesterday levels were
C:360
Mg: 1300
Alk: 8.4

trying to get those up as well

thanks for the quick responses

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to both, I let it sit 3 days before moving, I’m gonna let my salinity go up through evaporation and have cut off the auto fill which overfilled and lowered salinity. I’ve been dosing all for reef recently as of yesterday levels were
C:360
Mg: 1300
Alk: 8.4

trying to get those up as well

thanks for the quick responses
Whats your lighting like have an idea of what par it might be sitting in....i have my gonis towards the bottom of the tank and they really enjoy the area....also flow is always a big one as well once starting to extend out...mine get quite a bit of flow and the extension is so far so good...i am no expert by any means but i also know a few people that have success with using manganese.
20230428_191409.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anyway to get the calcium up? All for reef only adds traces i dose randys recipe for cal to keep things stable only have to once a week ideally wanna stay up around 430 to 460

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just add a bit more than normal, then test. Calcium takes a lot more to move the needle because there is proportionally way more carbonate. I'd say any level near NSW is fine for calcium.

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your lighting like have an idea of what par it might be sitting in....i have my gonis towards the bottom of the tank and they really enjoy the area....also flow is always a big one as well once starting to extend out...mine get quite a bit of flow and the extension is so far so good...i am no expert by any means but i also know a few people that have success with using manganese.
20230428_191409.jpg
I have AI prime over 20 gal cube not sure of par
Could just add a bit more than normal, then test. Calcium takes a lot more to move the needle because there is proportionally way more carbonate. I'd say any level near NSW is fine for calcium.
ok thanks will try that

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running for was dry or live rock used? The ai prime should be fine what level % do you have the lights at? What other corals do you have in the tank? Sometimes placement of other corals and happiness can help you somewhat guess what the par level might be....do you have a fts and a light schedule we could see?

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running for was dry or live rock used? The ai prime should be fine what level % do you have the lights at? What other corals do you have in the tank? Sometimes placement of other corals and happiness can help you somewhat guess what the par level might be....do you have a fts and a light schedule we could see?
Ran a equal mix of live rock and life rock has been up just over a month, torch, zoas, anemone, acans, Duncan, Xenia, facial running a modified saxby at at most 50%

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a equal mix of live rock and life rock has been up just over a month, torch, zoas, anemone, acans, Duncan, Xenia, facial running a modified saxby at at most 50%
Favia, not facial haha. Everything outside of goni seems to be thriving

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing a full tank picture with where everything is could help with finding a good placement...

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing a full tank picture with where everything is could help with finding a good placement...
Moved the Goni down to the back left of tank only thing different

Attachments

• 70430508555__E8356890-4789-4A0C-B028-270AA75613A4.jpeg
    70430508555__E8356890-4789-4A0C-B028-270AA75613A4.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 47

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the Goni down to the back left of tank only thing different
Might try placing in front of the duncans if this doesnt work could maybe be not enough lighting then try placing between the top torch and cloves....between those two spots should be able to tell if there is enough light or not....i would start with the sandbed infront of duncans leave for 4days....hope that it helps again not a par or goni expert by any means but thats where i would start...

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try placing in front of the duncans if this doesnt work could maybe be not enough lighting then try placing between the top torch and cloves....between those two spots should be able to tell if there is enough light or not....i would start with the sandbed infront of duncans leave for 4days....hope that it helps again not a par or goni expert by any means but thats where i would start...
Hey thanks for all the help and pointers will update hopefully back out soon

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI prime over 20 gal cube not sure of par

ok thanks will try that
There are also some excellent calculators out there that will tell you how much of Component "x" to add to get to parameter "Y".
This is an especially useful one.

If your pump has some sort of pulse, crest, or randomization, try to have that enabled at some point in the day if it isn't. Most corals don't tend to like linear flow in one constant direction and prefer variation. I can't quite tell if that's a Jebao or an Ai Nero 3, but either way, just change one thing at a time first. Sometimes messing with multiple things to make one coral happy can cause you more problems, lol. I agree with trying just different placement first and leaving it alone for a few days. Good luck!

OP
OP
jvaughan1355

jvaughan1355

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also some excellent calculators out there that will tell you how much of Component "x" to add to get to parameter "Y".
This is an especially useful one.

If your pump has some sort of pulse, crest, or randomization, try to have that enabled at some point in the day if it isn't. Most corals don't tend to like linear flow in one constant direction and prefer variation. I can't quite tell if that's a Jebao or an Ai Nero 3, but either way, just change one thing at a time first. Sometimes messing with multiple things to make one coral happy can cause you more problems, lol. I agree with trying just different placement first and leaving it alone for a few days. Good luck!
Thank you it’s a Nero 3 got some randomized stuff in there I’m gonna leave it be for a few days and see what happens appreciate the feedback

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back