Help with green slime algae

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stumped on how to get rid of this stuff. It started about 6 months ago I believe it was because I was over feeding my sps corals. I was feeding them every other night not the recommended 3 times a week. I have a 70 gallon mix reef with mainly sps corals. Every week I knock down the slime an by the end if the week it's back an even worse. I suck it out with air line tubing. I've tried pretty much everything, the only thing I can think of is getting a stronger skimmer. I've even treated it with chemi clean that worked for about a week an came back. So my set up is kessil led lights, refugium with chateo, bio pellet reactor, aqua medic turbo skimmer, gfo reactor, a canister filter with chemipure elite, mp40, few other power heads. My levels in my tank are pretty good. Phos 0, ammonia 0, nitrate, 0, nitrite 0, ca 490, alk 7.8 dkh, mag 1350. I've also went to lfs to double check my testing. I also have a heater/chiller so my temp only changes less then 1 degree a day. My lights are on about 10hrs a day. My corals look great an growing well just sick of having to mess with this green cyano every week. Do you guys have any ideas I'm out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387580194.253615.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all nusiance algaes are caused by excessive nutrients. That can be from phosphates in your food source,phosphates in source water,nitrates etc. Yes ro water needs to be tested. Overfeeding is the most common cause. You might want to consider carbon dosing. There is alot of info on this forum on the subject.

OP
OP
D

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing I don't feed much at all I use the bio pellets an everything I test is where it needs to be the only thing I can think of is getting a stronger skimmer

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you make the RO/DI water or buy it from the LFS? If you don't already have one, a hand held TDS meter is a good investment. I use one to double check the meter on my RO/DI unit.

OP
OP
D

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it at home yeah I had a meter as well an test it everything looks good meter shows 0.0 after the di section

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test your phosphates with? Is the flow in that particular area good?

OP
OP
D

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test your phosphates with? Is the flow in that particular area good?

The saifert test kit for that also double checked it with a lfs they have a Hanna an I got the same reading. Yeah I got good flow I have an mp40 turned all the way up an 3 other power heads

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to wave the algae off with your hand?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethings gotta be missing here. Its not Bryopsis, which is a clean water algae. It looks just like Green Cyano. Silicates. But from where?

OP
OP
D

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethings gotta be missing here. Its not Bryopsis, which is a clean water algae. It looks just like Green Cyano. Silicates. But from where?

I don't know the only thing I can think of is getting a stronger skimmer but I'd rather not drop 5 bills on a new one if I don't have to

OP
OP
D

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aqua medic flotor 1000 on my sump it works ok does pull out a full cup of dark green junk every 48 hrs or so. But I had to rig it for it to work on my sump cause it's a hob skimmer. That's what I was thinking needing a stronger skimmer at least one I can have in sump what kind of skimmer do you have?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back