help with high alk

herman_ator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello: I am new here and have been out of reefing for some time. am returning with my old 150 gallon. has been running for 10 years but with bad husbantry (me) new ro water machine and can't get alk down. it is 14.2 now and was at 15. Many water changes but not much lowering. am gonna use TM salt cuase it is lower alk but is there a way to lower the alk in the makeup water quicker? Heard of muratic acid and I have some but don.t know how to use it. Any help would be appreciated

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello: I am new here and have been out of reefing for some time. am returning with my old 150 gallon. has been running for 10 years but with bad husbantry (me) new ro water machine and can't get alk down. it is 14.2 now and was at 15. Many water changes but not much lowering. am gonna use TM salt cuase it is lower alk but is there a way to lower the alk in the makeup water quicker? Heard of muratic acid and I have some but don.t know how to use it. Any help would be appreciated
Check and calibrate your refractometer, I don’t see how it would get that high unless your salinity is higher than 1.028

OP
OP
herman_ator

herman_ator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tks think I found culprit diy reef rocks added 6 months ago and i wasn't checking.. my fault. randy says cement leaching most likely no hard corals and everyone is fine....

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tks think I found culprit diy reef rocks added 6 months ago and i wasn't checking.. my fault. randy says cement leaching most likely no hard corals and everyone is fine....
That would do it. Thanks for not leaving us hanging

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back