Help with ICH in large multi tank system with a snowflake eel

Sparky120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting ready to add 2 more tanks to the system a 72 and a 420 bringing the system up to a total of 4 tanks and around 800 gallons. The problem is I'm pretty shure I ended up with ICH in the tank(high mortality for new fish added to the tank) so while tieing In The new tanks and setting up I would like to do a full quarantine and let the main system go fallow just to be 100% shure because after I add the new tanks it will be exponentially harder to do

The question is I have about 30 ish fish which is fine as I move the Rock to the new display I can catch and move to a large quarantine tank (75gal)to treat the problem is I also have a full grown snowflake eel do I need to quarantine him as well(do they get ich will they ruin all this effort for the fallow on the main if I leave him in)
Have also read I can't treat with copper for him so... looking for advice from some experts will be doing this in the next month or so.
20220806_111406.jpg

20220806_154900.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, with banked systems a good quarantine process is vital!

Our current quarantine process is located here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

People are tempted to not quarantine morays, but they can carry velvet and some other diseases, so you really need to do something. Chloroquine is one choice. Most people just use a mild copper treatment like coppersafe and just take the slight risk to the eel. It may go off feed for a few weeks but they are pretty sturdy.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, with banked systems a good quarantine process is vital!

Our current quarantine process is located here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

People are tempted to not quarantine morays, but they can carry velvet and some other diseases, so you really need to do something. Chloroquine is one choice. Most people just use a mild copper treatment like coppersafe and just take the slight risk to the eel. It may go off feed for a few weeks but they are pretty sturdy.
Jay
HI @Jay Hemdal would hypo salinity be an option?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back