Help with ich

chefbuddy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YWas dumb and didn’t qt the orange shoulder tang I got last week. Well low and behold, woke up this morning to my bluejaw trigger and one of the clowns having the ich white spots. Just noticed my algae Benny rubbing on the sand. Going to move all fish to a qt tank but only have a 27 gallon for now, how much bigger does it need to be. Livestock is three tangs, four clownfish, dottyback, angelfish and a blend. Also do I need to worry about my corals, have a pretty stocked mixed reef?
Thanks for any advice and or pointers

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YWas dumb and didn’t qt the orange shoulder tang I got last week. Well low and behold, woke up this morning to my bluejaw trigger and one of the clowns having the ich white spots. Just noticed my algae Benny rubbing on the sand. Going to move all fish to a qt tank but only have a 27 gallon for now, how much bigger does it need to be. Livestock is three tangs, four clownfish, dottyback, angelfish and a blend. Also do I need to worry about my corals, have a pretty stocked mixed reef?
That’s a tough break. If you had a good biofilter, you *might* get by with that small tank, depends on the size of the fish. Trouble is you need to keep them there for the treatment, but then also, the time it takes for your now fishless tank to clear itself of ich- that can take anywhere from 45 to 75 days.
Jay

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd get two cheap 10 gallons to house the clowns, and put the dotty, angel and blend in a 20 gallon and finally put the three tangs in the 27 gallon.

Also, you just need the DT to go fallow, so you don't really need to worry about ich harming corals. All you need to do is ghost feed to keep nutrients up.

Or you could just manage ich, but that's up to you.

zoytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have all the needed stuff for the QT's. I would try and manage the ich while you build out the correct long term QT env, unless you see them start really struggling.

I got ICH in my DT from a Royal Gamma that I thought I had done tank transfer properly (guess not). Everyone got it, but the spots went away after about a month and I haven't had a outbreak since. I do have a decent sized UV, but I don't think that is totally necessary.

OP
OP
chefbuddy24

chefbuddy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have all the needed stuff for the QT's. I would try and manage the ich while you build out the correct long term QT env, unless you see them start really struggling.

I got ICH in my DT from a Royal Gamma that I thought I had done tank transfer properly (guess not). Everyone got it, but the spots went away after about a month and I haven't had a outbreak since. I do have a decent sized UV, but I don't think that is totally necessary.
Thank you for the advice. I don’t have all the stuff needed to do it properly. Ordered a uv sterilizer for christmas and should be here later today.
This is my first experience with ich so kinda freaked out. Bit but have calmed down a little. Started to read the posts by @Humblefish to figure out which route Togo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As Jay stated- keep display tank fishless at least 2-3 months (worth it) and focus on treating the others now infected
Pay attention to water quality in the wt tank to assure dead cysts are siphoned plus adequate oxygen is furnished.
Water temp 77-78
Salinity 1.023-1.024
Ph 8.0
Ammonia <. .03
Nitrate. < .04

treatnent- with tang and trigger sometimes sensitive to copper, copper safe or formalin baths daily for at least 12 days
Anytime using copper- assure you have a copper test kit

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I don’t have all the stuff needed to do it properly. Ordered a uv sterilizer for christmas and should be here later today.
This is my first experience with ich so kinda freaked out. Bit but have calmed down a little. Started to read the posts by @Humblefish to figure out which route Togo.
If your UV is of decent size then I would suggest putting the fish in a tank/bucket of 1/4th volume of the design volume of the UV.(example if ur UV is desigened to run on a 100gallon tank I would QT fish in a tank under 25 gallon with no sand.) My understanding is that when ich is free floating they will go through the UV and intensity of their attack should get curbed. I might be wrong. I hope someone with more experience can give some inputs.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on freshbydesign.com.au. they sell pentair UV in Australia. I hope it will help you in adjusting flow through your UV.

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_130349.jpg
    IMG_20210111_130349.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 26

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also set up a Brute tub, that will work. Or borrow something. Don't freak out. The problem with emergency hospital tanks is bio filtration (ammonia) and water flow (oxygen).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back