Help with Ick

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to it's own thread for better help.

Last edited:

Clownfiish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys can anyone please point me in the right direction I lost a couple of fish due to those white spots (ich). I am trying to cure it. If anyone knows if what I am doing is the right way to approach me, please let me know thank you

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! So I was able to watch most of your video and here's a couple issues I see....

1. You don't want to treat your fish in your sump. Unless you plan to use Hypo for treatment for this tank, then any other treatment options like copper and CP will leave your sump in a not-so-great condition to be used on your display again.
2. You don't want your display and your QT to be so close together. There is something called aerosol transmission which means that ick and velvet can be carried about 10 feet through the air by turbulent water.
3. A sepperate area all together and tank will be ideal for treating your fish. If your absolutely sure that you have ick, then I'd suggest using TTM (Tank Transfer Method) to treat them. This takes 12 days to complete and uses no chemicals like copper. It also works. Your little dragonet will not be able to tollerate copper and Hypo is very difficult to execute properly (not to mention the several strains of ick that have been proven to not respond to Hypo)
4. Not really an issue, I just didn't see it mentioned... but be sure that you are leaving your display fallow for 76 days to starve out the parasite completely from the tank.

This link will give you all the info on TTM Tank Transfer Method If you have any questions after reading that, please be sure to ask them here.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfiish Here it is. Please read my post above and ask any questions you might have. :)

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend hypo salinity. Since you don't have coral in your tank yet you can treat the entire tank and have a ich free environment going forward.
I am currently on day 5 of hypo in my own QT and the tiny purple tang went from entirely covered with white spots to just one spot tonight. It is quite simple and easy on the fish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back