Neptune trident question

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting the trident in the future. I’m aware that it can work together with the Neptune dos to automatically dose the amount that you need. But im already using a Red Sea reef dos2, and I’m pretty sure they don’t cooperate in the same way.

Will the Neptune trident tell me the amount I need to dose as my needs change?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the trident and DOS. I think auto dosing based on tests is risky. I don’t always trust the results of the tests. Dosing is easy to adjust with the app, so I use the trident results as a guide. But always back up with other tests

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting the trident in the future. I’m aware that it can work together with the Neptune dos to automatically dose the amount that you need. But im already using a Red Sea reef dos2, and I’m pretty sure they don’t cooperate in the same way.

Will the Neptune trident tell me the amount I need to dose as my needs change?
No, the Trident does not tell you how much to dose. It only gives test results. I don’t recommend auto dosing with the Trident and DŌS. It chases it’s own tail, and parameters swing, ime.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Trident measurements to guardband my Ca reactor and now Kalk dosing. In the normal range, those run normally. In the low alk range, my Ca reactor set point will drop. In the high alk range I stop running the reactor CO2 and stop the Kalk (at different values).

I'd set a baseline dose rate for two part and then turn off the doser if Alk has risen too much. The Ca measurement is mostly useless so I suggest not using it for any dosage control.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From a post I made earlier
I put the kalkwasser dosing on the Trident "guard rails” and that's been working out nicely.
The system was well designed.
I set it to
9 dkh
.30 +/- range
35% limit

Meaning if the Trident tests alk and gets a reading of 9.2 it will dose 35% less until the next test. Or if it got 8.8 it would dose 35% more ect.
I have been using this since last October so about 8 months with no issues to speak of.
I do a tank water recalibration when I replace the reagents.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident controlled dosing only works with the Neptune DOS. You can do something based on a result but that isn't the same thing as controlled dosing and isn't really recommended.

To clear up a bit of misconception by a couple of the above posts. Neptune controlled dosing only has limited control based on results for safety reasons. If a test result comes back out of range then the Trident yields to the "scheduled dos amount". It has no control, or sway, as the test result is out of bounds. I think Neptune calls this influence in their docs I forget. Below for reference.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No, the Trident does not tell you how much to dose. It only gives test results. I don’t recommend auto dosing with the Trident and DŌS. It chases it’s own tail, and parameters swing, ime.

This. It’s awful. So I manually adjust as needed. But that’s not very often.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%
Back