Help with ID please.

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching online for the past couple of days, and could not find any information. Hoping someone can help me id this potential pest. Doesn't look like any of the hydroid, but I dipped the rock in peroxide. I thought peroxide did the job but now I see it colony coming back. I see it growing on my zoa frags, and would like to get rid of it. Please help with IDing this.

Thank you

VZM.IMG_20160608_195748.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching online for the past couple of days, and could not find any information. Hoping someone can help me id this potential pest. Doesn't look like any of the hydroid, but I dipped the rock in peroxide. I thought peroxide did the job but now I see it colony coming back. I see it growing on my zoa frags, and would like to get rid of it. Please help with IDing this.

Thank you

VZM.IMG_20160608_195748.jpg

Hydroids I belive.
Check out lionfishlair hitchikers
Melevs reefs also

OP
OP
B

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I did check both website first, and couldn't find anything that resemble it. I tried a 10 minute dip in fenbendazole and it is still alive. Hope someone can tell me what it is and how to get rid of it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It reminds me of Turritopsis dohrnii polyp. Where it went through a round of meds, it may not look exactly like a healthy counterpart, and can even be missing identifiable characteristics. I bought cycled rubble rock that was in a fenbendazole bath for weeks and we instantly had issues with hydroids. It was fry/Dwarf seahorse tanks.

OP
OP
B

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Lionfish. Finally found a picture that looks similar to what I have. Wow Immortal Jellyfish. Guess that explains why it didn't die in a peroxide and fenbendazole dip. I got this probably from a frag, but never notice them until I started trying to eradicate my vermetid snail population. Should I worry about it? If so, any ideas how to get rid of it?

Thank you again

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only that clump, I think I would put some putty on it. I hadn't run across this hydroid recently and it was only because I was fact checking for the new guide that I saw it. I'm sure there's others out there that have the same characteristics of the "strands" going down the full stalk instead of just around the head. Most interesting stuff.

OP
OP
B

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just one of the clumps, have more on zoa frags. I will cross my fingers and hope they just die out by itself. Thanks again for the great info Lionfish.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be specially that hydroid, but because of the similarities in appearance, I would think it was at least some sort of hydroid.

OP
OP
B

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are good Lionfish. Looks more like Rhizogetonnudus, cause most of it are in groups.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back