Help with kalk dosage

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving towards using a still container for my kalk additions but don't want to connect with topoff due to fluctuations in topoff levels. I'd like to make hourly additions to my 225 gallon tank but I'm not sure how much hourly is safe. I plan to use a 50ml/min pump for additions through my controller. My tank uses a large amount of cal/alk, any extra needs will be made via two part additions also made hourly. Any help or tips on dosage is appreciated, thanks.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose something less than you evaporate each day, and allow the top off to make up the difference. Spread the dose, in small amounts, out over a 24 hr period. I would start with 1 tsp. per gallon of RO/DI, test and go up from there.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the maximum amount I could add once hourly without boosting PH too much be?

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So spread out, you can actually dose a lot more than I thought. Figuring 1/10 that's over 6 gallons a day which is way more than anyone's 225 gallon tank would evaporate in one day.

So I follow you now and I should start with a certain amount I want to account for per day :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back