Kalk dosing and the value of real-time monitoring of tank parameters

dfwjr1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess when my kalk reservoir ran out and when I refilled the reservoir?

Unknown.png

I realize kalk chemistry is more complex than simply pH maintenance, and pH is more than just kalk dosing, but I am loving real-time monitoring of the pH, and overall tank parameters (Hydros, but that is not material). I woke up to a pH drop and checked over the system and saw the empty kalk reservoir. So far I've had an expensive heater fail within 6 months of purchase, various road bumps (newer tank, glitches, and learning curve issues are expected), and feel real-time monitoring (pH, temperature, and water levels) has saved me further grief on those occasions. Without monitoring and alarms, I may not have noticed the kalk was dry for a day or two (or more as it is in a cabinet), or that my tank dropped 5 degrees overnight with the heater failure.

FWIW, for my ~130g total volume (WB Infinia 150.4), with 15 small LPS/SPS corals and lots of coralline growth on Marco rock, I am currently dosing Kalk (2 tbsp/gal with 5 mL/g vinegar) via a Versa pump at 1.3mL/min from a 5 g hedpack, which I switch out with another hedpack when I run low (or run out in this situation). I am seeing fantastic LPS, SPS, and corralline growth, and Alk is holding VERY steady, though I had to increase dosage with the addition of corals.

I'd love to level out pH a little more, but the tank is 6 months old and the refugium is anything but robust, though I can't complain about a daily 0.1 pH swing.

So +1 for kalk dosing and real-time parameter monitoring.
What real-time monitoring system are you using?

OP
OP
J

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What real-time monitoring system are you using?
Hydros x3 with pH sensor, calibrated ~monthly. If pH levels get too high (>8.7), it shuts off the kalk dosing pump.

The dosing shut off a couple of times in the past few months, basically when my old pH sensor started giving me readings of 8.7 or so and had to be recalibrated every couple of weeks. I replaced the sensor and it seems stable. I still don’t trust it to stay calibrated more than a month or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back