Help with kalk reactor and rkl

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm thinking about buying a two little fishies kalk reactor 300.

I know absolutely nothing about kalk

I currently do not dose anything

I have a rkl with float switches for my ato and a aqua lifter pump

I know I need to buy a 300gph pump for the reactor

Do I just set that pump as my ato instead of the aqua lifter?

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jusr trying to find out if I understand how the reactor works.

My float switches turn the pump on them the pump forces water through the reactor mixing the kalk and it then overflows into my sump.... correct?
Won't the 300gph pump be a little much for a ato? The aqua lifter I'm currently using just drips into the sump.

Also can I run a hose from the output on the reactor to my sump instead of hanging it on the side? I'm not gonna have the room for it to hang.

Hopefully someone out there is using this reactor and can answer my questions :)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin,

Forgive me if I give you bad advice on this, BUT, the pump is to keep the Kalk in suspension and then you use a small volume pump to top off or add the Kalk enriched water to your system. Some use a peristaltic (dosing) pump do do this, Others may use the Aqualifter. With regards to your RKL, you want it to have a timer to kick the big pump on and off to keep the kalk stirred up.

Orthokardia may be the best one to ask on here regarding the addition of kalk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I thought the big pump pumped top off water into it and then it overflows to the sump.

That's why I'm a little confused lol

I'm just looking for a easy way to start dosing kalk to get my ph and calcium up a bit

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jusr trying to find out if I understand how the reactor works.

My float switches turn the pump on them the pump forces water through the reactor mixing the kalk and it then overflows into my sump.... correct?
Won't the 300gph pump be a little much for a ato? The aqua lifter I'm currently using just drips into the sump.

Also can I run a hose from the output on the reactor to my sump instead of hanging it on the side? I'm not gonna have the room for it to hang.

Hopefully someone out there is using this reactor and can answer my questions :)

Take a look at the Tunze 5074 as an example of a similar reactor (which I use). I think the TLF reactor can be had a bit cheaper, but I still like the Tunze for being the simplest in design. I've run it off an Aqua Lifter and it worked well.

AFAIK you have it right on how the TLF 300 works. I think the "pressure" from the 300 gph pump may be required to drive that sprinkler head..not so much for the flow.

Dunno if it's possible with the TLF, but the Tunze is designed to hang INSIDE the ATO reservoir, taking up no extra cabinet space.

-Matt

P.S. Don't worry about pH, or even calcium so much....worry about alkalinity. Get a Salifert alkalinity test kit and let alkalinity drive your dosing regime.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back