Help with KH Director "Add-On Control"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just slightly off-topic, but since it could be useful to those using a KH Director and also using Triton 4-Part, I will mention this:

I learned that a combination of the two Triton alkalinity components (3a and 3b) have a combined Alk of 9750 dKH/L (pers. comm. with Julian Baggio, Triton, Germany). If my math is correct, then:

38.8 ml will raise 378.5 L (100 gal) 1 dKH unit. (This could be useful info for people using the GHL KH DIRECTOR for programming purposes .....and others may find it helpful also). So if the ...Amount deviates... is set t0 1, you can easily calculate the
"Adjust each dose by this amount"

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell, they work the exact same way, just one uses the percentage for limit adjustment. Since I know I want to limit any dosage to .25 dKH, it's easier just to set that.
I am under the impression that adaptive will increase/decrease the dose based on how far from norm you are. The farther away the more it increases or reduces the dose up to the limit you set. Add on will only add/reduce by the set amount.
I use adaptive and when there is a variance the amount of the dose changes in proportion.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am under the impression that adaptive will increase/decrease the dose based on how far from norm you are. The farther away the more it increases or reduces the dose up to the limit you set. Add on will only add/reduce by the set amount.
I use adaptive and when there is a variance the amount of the dose changes in proportion.
The add on does the exact same. It uses the deviation from target and your adjustment amount to calculate the dosing adjustment.

The example I gave is how this works.

1. Your target dKH is 8
2. Your setting for a deviation of 1dKH is adjust by 48ml (my settings)
3. Your reading is 7.9dKH which is .1 (or 10%) off from target
4. KH Director will adjust your next dose by 10% of 48ml or 4.8ml

By setting that 1dKH adjustment to the actual dosing that will raise your tank by 1dKH, you essentially dose to correct to your target dKH...plus whatever your nominal dose is.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know which one would be easier. I thought working with ml's would be easier, but I will investigate the ADAPTIVE CONTROL.

I wonder if it is universally agreed that the ADAPTIVE CONTROL is better. If so, then I wonder why the two choices are offered?? :confused:

Thanks for pointing this out! Much appreciated.
Dr Jim,
I dose 90ml/day. To make it simple, I set the doser to 100 doses/day. That's 0.90ml/dose. If I want or need to increase my daily dose by say 10ml, then I increase the dose amount 0.10ml/dose. It would now be 1.00ml/dose. If I only need to increase by 5ml/day, I would set it to 0.95ml/dose.
I maintain my dKh at 9.0 It holds very steady between 8.8-9.2. I test 6x/day.
Here is my adaptive control settings.
1606321397127.png

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The add on does the exact same. It uses the deviation from target and your adjustment amount to calculate the dosing adjustment.

The example I gave is how this works.

1. Your target dKH is 8
2. Your setting for a deviation of 1dKH is adjust by 48ml (my settings)
3. Your reading is 7.9dKH which is .1 (or 10%) off from target
4. KH Director will adjust your next dose by 10% of 48ml or 4.8ml

By setting that 1dKH adjustment to the actual dosing that will raise your tank by 1dKH, you essentially dose to correct to your target dKH...plus whatever your nominal dose is.
I did not know. That's why I went with the adaptive control. To me, it just seems easier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back