Help with mandarin fish- is this normal?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think I need help with my mandarin fish. I introduced him to my tank about ten days ago and he seemed quite happy, searching for food in the rocks and mostly swimming at the bottom of the tank and hiding among the rocks. Today he seems to be spending most of the time at the surface, hiding behind the thermostat and not swimming much, just twirling his side fins. Is this normal? Tank is 300 liters, about 2 years old, with about 30 kg of live rock.
Ammonia 0
NO2-0
NO3-0,15
Salinity 1026
Ph 8.0
Thanks for any input

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Do you have plenty of copepods on your tank to support the mandarin hunger? Mandarin will be looking for copepods all over the rocks since is its first food source. If not pods present it will starve and die.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! Yes, I hope I have enough copepods, I knew nothing about him-her actually- until I fell in love with her at the shop, and did a lot of research on mandarins since. I have about 30kg of live rock, almost 3 years old and I bought some copepods as well, which I put in the tank a week ago. He seems to be finding food as when he is at the bottom of the tank he is always looking among the rocks and grabs things....I also feed him frozen artemia. I don't think lack of food is his problem...he just seems to hover on the surface all day today, hiding behind the thermostat tube

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think I need help with my mandarin fish. I introduced him to my tank about ten days ago and he seemed quite happy, searching for food in the rocks and mostly swimming at the bottom of the tank and hiding among the rocks. Today he seems to be spending most of the time at the surface, hiding behind the thermostat and not swimming much, just twirling his side fins. Is this normal? Tank is 300 liters, about 2 years old, with about 30 kg of live rock.
Ammonia 0
NO2-0
NO3-0,15
Salinity 1026
Ph 8.0
Thanks for any input
Mine does that looking to escape into the back compartment. I have found her their several times.

my.PsychReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is eating then should not be worry about it. But make sure it eats the food (frozen artemia) when you put to the tank. Not just picking on the rocks. Sometimes we tend to underestimate the amount of pods they eat a day. You can try live artemia as well. So as long as it’s eating and keeping its colours then should be fine. Dragonnets have their own protecting mechanism (a body slime I think a toxic type but not entirely sure) usually other fishes would not bother it. But if you see it’s getting skinny and not moving much throughout the day then I would worry about it. Also, When it’s on the sand bed and you see bristle worms moving towards its body then that is not a good sign. Just keep an eye on it because it is such a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is eating then should not be worry about it. But make sure it eats the food (frozen artemia) when you put to the tank. Not just picking on the rocks. Sometimes we tend to underestimate the amount of pods they eat a day. You can try live artemia as well. So as long as it’s eating and keeping its colours then should be fine. Dragonnets have their own protecting mechanism (a body slime I think a toxic type but not entirely sure) usually other fishes would not bother it. But if you see it’s getting skinny and not moving much throughout the day then I would worry about it. Also, When it’s on the sand bed and you see bristle worms moving towards its body then that is not a good sign. Just keep an eye on it because it is such a beautiful fish.
Thank you. I need all the information I can get. It truly is a magnificent fish

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a funny sort of schedule. When the lights are off he seems to hover on the bottom, around the rocks and caves. When the lights are on, he goes up to the surface and usually hides behind the heater tube

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you could I would go get some copepods and add to the tank, see if that gets him back down in the rocks. I had this happen to me one time before and within 2 days of doing this he died. Never saw anyone messing with him, I ended up guessing I had less copepods than I thought. have had a couple before, first one lasted years and didn't survive a tank move. Next time I get one I will restock tank with pods every month or 2

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you could I would go get some copepods and add to the tank, see if that gets him back down in the rocks. I had this happen to me one time before and within 2 days of doing this he died. Never saw anyone messing with him, I ended up guessing I had less copepods than I thought. have had a couple before, first one lasted years and didn't survive a tank move. Next time I get one I will restock tank with pods every month or 2
Thank you so much! I do feel worried about him. I added two packets of copepods about 15 days ago, when I first got him But do you think that a 2 year tank might have less copepods than he could have eaten in 15 days?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The little guy will eat thousands and thousand of pods a day. Like 5k worth

Not only do I have a pod population but to make sure mine is healthy I turn of power heads and pumps and watch him eat the frozen food as well. He is fed 3-4 times frozen daily. His favorite are blood worms.

I also add 1 bag of 5k pods 2 times a month. He eats better than my kids hahaha

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little guy will eat thousands and thousand of pods a day. Like 5k worth

Not only do I have a pod population but to make sure mine is healthy I turn of power heads and pumps and watch him eat the frozen food as well. He is fed 3-4 times frozen daily. His favorite are blood worms.

I also add 1 bag of 5k pods 2 times a month. He eats better than my kids hahaha
Thanks. Problem is, he seems to be going through the rocks and grabbing things in the morning when the lights are off. When I feed frozen artemia in the evening (lights on) he is hiding behind the heater and shows little interest

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I do feel worried about him. I added two packets of copepods about 15 days ago, when I first got him But do you think that a 2 year tank might have less copepods than he could have eaten in 15 days?
I would think if you added some 15 days ago it should be ok. Its hard to know what your pod population was before but at 2 years I would think you where good enough for the mandarin. But as said they can eat a ton. It cant hurt to add another batch in next few days, may even need to do it once a month for first couple months to get him and pod population settled.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if you added some 15 days ago it should be ok. Its hard to know what your pod population was before but at 2 years I would think you where good enough for the mandarin. But as said they can eat a ton. It cant hurt to add another batch in next few days, may even need to do it once a month for first couple months to get him and pod population settled.
Thank you. I really like him and would hate to lose him

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I really like him and would hate to lose him

As others have stated, they eat a lot of pods. I think the average number is like 1500 a day or similar. So a single small bottle usually has 1000-3000, which could be consumed all within 2 days depending on the rate they reproduce.
I recently got a spotted mandarin(along with already having a scooter) and my spotted hid in the same rock crevice for about a week, occasionally popping out a few inches to eat, before finally coming out and pairing up with the scooter after the first week. I have a 120 and even I add a bottle monthly(even when I only had 1)
My two eating together since I keep enough pods they don't mind feeding together. Cheap fish, expensive diets.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have stated, they eat a lot of pods. I think the average number is like 1500 a day or similar. So a single small bottle usually has 1000-3000, which could be consumed all within 2 days depending on the rate they reproduce.
I recently got a spotted mandarin(along with already having a scooter) and my spotted hid in the same rock crevice for about a week, occasionally popping out a few inches to eat, before finally coming out and pairing up with the scooter after the first week. I have a 120 and even I add a bottle monthly(even when I only had 1)
My two eating together since I keep enough pods they don't mind feeding together. Cheap fish, expensive diets.

Hi, thanks. Mine used to hide in one specific rock and come out briefly as well. He still does that, or hides behind the heater. When the lights are on, he seems to prefer being near the surface. Update: As of yesterday, when he is near the surface, he seems to like being carried along by the flow the wave maker causes and then swimming against it. all over again.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks. Mine used to hide in one specific rock and come out briefly as well. He still does that, or hides behind the heater. When the lights are on, he seems to prefer being near the surface. Update: As of yesterday, when he is near the surface, he seems to like being carried along by the flow the wave maker causes and then swimming against it. all over again.

Hopefully its just getting used to the tank still and finding out everything about its new home(flow might be a little high based on what you posted above), if it made it the first few days, your chances are good to great as long as you keep its food source up and/or try to get it also trained on frozen. Nothing wrong with adding more pods if you are worried though. :D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back