Help with mp40’s

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have 3 mp40’s. They are the older ones not the qd’s. I haven’t used them in about 2 years. I recently took them out the attic to see if they still worked. Plugged them in and the wet sides did nothing. I then bought some vinegar and boiled some hot water. I placed wet sides in the mixture and let soak for 30-45 minutes. I then disassembled and reassembled the wet sides. 2 of the 3 tried to work but I keep getting red and green flashing on controller. My question is should I just throw them all out and buy 3 new wet sides or just throw everything out and update to the newer ones?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never boil anything when it comes to a saltwater tank. Vinegar or citric acid is all you need.

As for the mp40, does it even feel like the dry side is is even vibrating/turning on?

I'm lazy, so if it was in storage that long I'd throw the whole kit out and just start fresh. UNLESS it feels like the dry side is actually doing something... but even then... something that old I'd just toss and use a new unit. It would help me sleep at night knowing it's less likely to fail again later.

EDIT: if its the drysides that are borked you could keep the wetsides. Nice to have extra for maintenance.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to purchase one wet side for now, to see if the issues is the wet side on all three pumps. If this old wet side is the issue, it is far less expensive to replace three wet sides than 3 new MP40's. I would also suggest to run the test wet on the set side. The friction of running the wet side dry may mess up the magnets.

Hopefully the controller side is not messed up from storing the units in attic from the heat in the summer, than cold in the winter.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestion. I will buy 1 wet side and see what happens. I will also try running them in water and see if it changes anything. Can’t hurt to try. If all else fails I’ll be on here looking for Mp40qds

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a power cycle? When ever my wet side stopped working after feed mode a simple rest would fix it

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar can cause swelling of some plastics. I would not use it for cleaning pumps. Citric acid is fine.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPS2020 insidnt know they had a lubricant. All 3 spin freely. My 1 Mp40qd wet side is the only one that doesn’t spin freely. I’m sure I’ll have to at least buy another wet side for that one
@Not_Erick what and how do I do a power cycle? I did try to reset it but that did nothing
@BeanAnimal i believe you’re correct. It seems like the vinegar made something swell up if that makes sense

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, don't throw any dry sides or drivers out. Call Ecotech. At worst, they will sell you a new part to replace the really old one at a big discount, even if it's way out of warranty.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat thank you so much for the heads up and information. I’ll call ecotech tomorrow and see how much they gonna get out of me. I’ll start with 1 regular wet side and 1 Mp40qd wet side just to make sure that’s what it is

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat thank you so much for the heads up and information. I’ll call ecotech tomorrow and see how much they gonna get out of me. I’ll start with 1 regular wet side and 1 Mp40qd wet side just to make sure that’s what it is
Ask them to help you diagnose the problem your having with an older MP40. If you have the box, that helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back