Help with my 180 build please!

TDWitDaReefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I had some questions hopefully you all can help me with I’m setting up a 180 display with a 55 sump. I purchased this build used and just realized it came with 2 skimz overflow boxes that rely on the Venturi pump to maintain syphon. One om2500 and one om5000 Just wanted to see everyone’s opinion on if I should risk it and find a aqua lifter for each one or if maybe I should try to find something like an EShopps hob that relies on the utube for syphon? Would prefer to not drill my tank as I have no experience with that and this is my first sump build so trying to keep it relatively simple. Maybe someone wants to trade a reef ready 180? Thanks for your help in advance!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used HOB overflows for many years. But it didn't take long for me to realize I wanted some kind of pump to maintain the full flow thru the siphon pipe. I used Aqua Lifters for mine and they were fine. You need 2, so buy 3 in case one ever has issues. They don't run forever.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with holes drilled in tank, return drains can get restricted. Design your return pump suction to run out of water before overflowing display tank. Consider the volume per inch of sump & display. In your case it’s about 3” in sump to 1” in display. If you locate return pump suction 3” below normal operating level in sump then you will never raise display level more than 1”. Do not run automatic makeup water into your sump. As levels in sump drop, air bubbles in return to display will tell you when to add water to sump. If you choose to use ATO, them limit this water volume.

Back