Help with my alk

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, so I have been always dosing kalk via ATO to maintain my alk at around 8.5. However, recently not sure if my sps started growing or what, my alk dropped to around 7.5. It’s been a few weeks like this since I maxed out my capacity on dosing kalk (12 tsp in a 5g bucket, but I fill my ato all the way up so I considered that’s 6g).

should I leave it at around 7.5 or start dosing alk to achieve what I want? If so, what brand or kind of alk to get? My calcium is at around 480-500.

thanks

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That’s pretty low start dosing carbonate. It’s hard to keep up with just kalk.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat.... daily 1 gallon water changes, maxed out kalk saturation in my ato and still had to dose. I got sick of it so I put My old geo calcium reactor back in service. The last time that was used 2007 And stored outside in a shed in harsh Canadian winters. I had to replace a few seals and replace the pump. But works just as good as I remember.
I was using pool chemicals for my bulk. Soda ash and calcium chloride. I don’t know how pure they are but I didnt notice any negatives from using it.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat.... daily 1 gallon water changes, maxed out kalk saturation in my ato and still had to dose. I got sick of it so I put My old geo calcium reactor back in service. The last time that was used 2007 And stored outside in a shed in harsh Canadian winters. I had to replace a few seals and replace the pump. But works just as good as I remember.
I was using pool chemicals for my bulk. Soda ash and calcium chloride. I don’t know how pure they are but I didnt notice any negatives from using it.
I got you. Don’t think I will go reactor route yet but will looking for something to dose it.

Adept Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, so I have been always dosing kalk via ATO to maintain my alk at around 8.5. However, recently not sure if my sps started growing or what, my alk dropped to around 7.5. It’s been a few weeks like this since I maxed out my capacity on dosing kalk (12 tsp in a 5g bucket, but I fill my ato all the way up so I considered that’s 6g).

should I leave it at around 7.5 or start dosing alk to achieve what I want? If so, what brand or kind of alk to get? My calcium is at around 480-500.

thanks
It’s totally normal to have to progressively move to more aggressive routes to replenish alk and cal. I have been dosing oceans blend two part for 4 years now and have never had any issues keeping up with my alk. Just be sure to always dose in equal parts when dosing two part. As in if you dose 15 mil of alk you need to dose 15 mil of cal as well regardless if you are trying to increase your alk and have a high cal like the 480-500. It will balance out! Good luck with the tank.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s totally normal to have to progressively move to more aggressive routes to replenish alk and cal. I have been dosing oceans blend two part for 4 years now and have never had any issues keeping up with my alk. Just be sure to always dose in equal parts when dosing two part. As in if you dose 15 mil of alk you need to dose 15 mil of cal as well regardless if you are trying to increase your alk and have a high cal like the 480-500. It will balance out! Good luck with the tank.
Just to clarify, even tho my cal is already 500 and you recommend dosing both?

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

That’s not really how its done. often times tanks get unbalanced. Like in this case high calcium low alkalinity. You only need to dose alkalinity if you dose more calcium then you will just cause a calcium precipation And lots of other issues.

Adept Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, even tho my cal is already 500 and you recommend dosing both?
That’s not really how its done. often times tanks get unbalanced. Like in this case high calcium low alkalinity. You only need to dose alkalinity if you dose more calcium then you will just cause a calcium precipation And lots of other issues.
Understanding water chemistry is all keeping a reef tank is so make sure you understand it. If you don’t want to take my word for it check out this link. https://www.google.com/amp/s/joejaw...19/the-right-way-to-use-2-part-additives/amp/

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you dose more Ca when it is at 500 already? I'm not sure who wrote that article that you posted but there is a lot in there that I don't agree with (like, "Never test your Ca"????)

If you are using a 2-Part that has trace elements mixed in, then you have to dose the parts equally, but you will most likely reach a point where one of them will reach its max and then you can't dose the other any more; otherwise, you will throw off the trace elements. This is why I don't like 2-Part, 3-Part, or 4-Part systems that have the trace elements mixed in each of the components. (You have to dose each part equally). I'd rather dose the trace elements separately. In that way, you don't have to dose all the main parts (Ca, Alk, and sometimes Mg if a 3-Part) at the same dosages.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you dose more Ca when it is at 500 already? I'm not sure who wrote that article that you posted but there is a lot in there that I don't agree with (like, "Never test your Ca"????)

If you are using a 2-Part that has trace elements mixed in, then you have to dose the parts equally, but you will most likely reach a point where one of them will reach its max and then you can't dose the other any more; otherwise, you will throw off the trace elements. This is why I don't like 2-Part, 3-Part, or 4-Part systems that have the trace elements mixed in each of the components. (You have to dose each part equally). I'd rather dose the trace elements separately. In that way, you don't have to dose all the main parts (Ca, Alk, and sometimes Mg if a 3-Part) at the same dosages.
I was scratching my head on that as well. I get it when everything is low and dose them together so it’s balanced. I only ordered the soda ash and plan on dose that anyway.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scratching my head on that as well. I get it when everything is low and dose them together so it’s balanced. I only ordered the soda ash and plan on dose that anyway.
Just remember that the soda ash will greatly boost your pH so you have to add it very slowly. (Bicarbonate, alone, can initially slightly lower the pH). I prefer to use a mix of bicarbonate and carbonate (soda ash) so it has less effect on pH. I'd have to look it up, but I think something like a 29:1 ratio of bicarbonate:carbonate results in a alkalinity that doesn't affect pH. Some reefers prefer more carbonate to boost the pH a little. (But playing around with ratios may make it hard to use online calculators if you plan to do that).
I use the 29:1 ratio and according to my calculations, 13.75 ml raises the Alk in 100 gal by 0.1dKH.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that the soda ash will greatly boost your pH so you have to add it very slowly. (Bicarbonate, alone, can initially slightly lower the pH). I prefer to use a mix of bicarbonate and carbonate (soda ash) so it has less effect on pH. I'd have to look it up, but I think something like a 29:1 ratio of bicarbonate:carbonate results in a alkalinity that doesn't affect pH. Some reefers prefer more carbonate to boost the pH a little. (But playing around with ratios may make it hard to use online calculators if you plan to do that).
I use the 29:1 ratio and according to my calculations, 13.75 ml raises the Alk in 100 gal by 0.1dKH.
Great. I am currently at around 7.5 and my end goal is at 8 to 8.5 since my salt mix is at around 8.5. I guess I should dose 50-70% of the recommended dosage and test it after 48 hours.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, how accurate is the api ph kit? That’s what I have
I never used that kit but probably none of the color-changing kits are as good as probes, but good enough, and that doesn't mean you need to go buy a probe. It is more important to check your alkalinity. Which kit do you have for that?

When you say "recommended dosage" is that the amount to raise it from 7.5 to 8.5? If so, I would only dose about 10% a day so as not to raise the Alk more than 0.1 per day. I would also test the Alk at least once a day maybe an hour after dosing; better yet....twice a day until you get it where you want. (I test my Alk almost every day and I have a GHL Director (probe for Alk) that I watch to show if I have any drifting trends). Don't worry so much about the pH as long as it is no lower than 7.8 during the night, but the higher the better. Test it real early in the morning.....that's when the pH will be the lowest. I always recommend running an air line or pipe to a window if possible. It will do wonders by raising your pH!).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back