Help with my anemone!

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a RBTA 4 or 5 days ago.. & immediately when I put him in the tank my peppermint shrimp tore off a piece of his tentacle & started eating it I scared the pep off as much as possible then tried to catch him the next day because the nem seemed bothered .. but I couldn’t catch him .. that day I also looked at the nem & it seemed that some of his tentacles were shorter than the rest . The ones by the peps cave but I wasn’t 100% sure that was the case so I took a pic of the nem

a372b416536bc9a4f6a51575256e9918.heic

That’s what it looked like

I work night shift & the next evening when I got up the nem looked like this

864a6da8d9e1e17d750864e40a290583.heic

Nowwww I’m worried! Among the research I was able to do at work I found no solid answers.. then this morning when I got home from work I looked at then tank with the lights out & I couldn’t see him .. so I figured he moved ... I looked a little & couldn’t find him so decided to wait until the lights came on... when they did he was still in the same spot! Just so small I couldn’t see him .. & he stayed all the way balled up until the Last hour or so now this is what he currently looks like

a779497df924696de86db1360936d4ff.heic

3a4780534103b022a370660913593e1e.heic

So now I’m overly worried & don’t know exactly what to do! Is my nem dying? Do I need to remove it ? Do I need to just wait it out ??? What’s wrong with it ? I’m something like a rookie ... especially when it comes to nems!
& before it’s asked all my parameters are in check .. I check this morning soon I came home ...

Heeeelllllppppp!!!!!

Reefjunky21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait it out if I were you. Some RBTA take a little while to acclimate. I have had one take about a week to fully open up. But if it's condition continues to go down hill you might have to remove it. It is definitely time to remove it if you start to see tissue decay so that it wont topple your entire tank.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hate to remove it if it had any shot,,, but I also don’t want to cause bigger problems from it not making it ... I’m not really sure what “tissue” damage looks like though

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I suppose I will know if / when the time comes .. just don’t want to act too soon .. I suppose if within a day or 2 .. it will either take a turn for the better or worse

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he spits his stomach out through his mouth that is when you pull him to either treat with antibiotics or to save the health of your tank. He could just still be acclimating as has been said.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably acclimating.

I would monitor the peppermint shrimp as well and get rid it or put it in refugium if it continues to bother the nem.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have been & ive honestly not seen him do it again .. but as we speak he is in a crack right behind the nem looking up to no good lol .. but time will tell I suppose

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My nem looked like that when I first put him in and now looks great . If he’s not walking around or detached from his rock I would say he is just fine. Probably getting used to his new surroundings. Just wait it out and if u see him rolling around on the sand or sucked up in a PH take him out

Last edited:

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there with him , he’s probably still getting to grips with his new home , I would keep an eye on the pep also ...... I had one and he tore up my torch ... maybe he thinks it’s food and an aptasia !!!! Is he hungry ???
Monitor but as said by others if the nem looks like he’s going inside out pull him out of the tank..good luck .....

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back