Help with Mystery coral Dying

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thor2j
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
506
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background. Been doing salt water tanks off and on for 30 years. In it hard-core for the last 10. Sell corals all the time. Mostly high end SPS.
For the last 2 years I have a mystery. Every 4-6 months I will lose a few heads on euphillias or candy cane coral. Nothing else is effected. I have massive acro colonies , montis, 10 different bounce mushrooms, lobos, and about 50 other corals. I have 100 different corals in my 225.
I cut off the damaged coral when I see it, or completely frag the coral up into many pieces. I can't stop this trend. Half of my euphyllias are never effected to make things either stranger. Acros are never effected.
I lost a 2 headed holy grail last week. Then about 6 heads of gold hammer and 10 heads on the candy cane. Everything has been fine since I cut the stuff off . 6 months goes by sometimes and nothing happens except massive growth. Then out of nowhere I lose some heads. No jelly, no bugs, no nothing I can figure out.

I can give water parameters but shouldn't matter because the most delicate corals in tank are thriving. Plus I'm really anal about my water qyluality.

The nothing happening to 99% of my corals is what makes me scratch my head.
Fish aren't bothering them from what I can tell either.
No stray voltage.

I'll post some pics

They just seem to melt in a day or 2

20230508_150018.jpg 20230524_132104.jpg 20230524_132111.jpg 20230520_091346.jpg 20230509_162108.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new