Help With New Build

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer here. Moved 1.5 years ago from Florida to Colorado and am getting the itch again.

What I'm looking at is either a custom built or something along the lines of the Red Sea, Water Box , Pro Clear, 150gallon (tank volume) peninsula. My dream always was to have all the hardware and sump in the basement along with water changing station . I want this thing as automated as possible as I travel a lot. Will be doing constant water changes via Apex DOS.

My number 1 priority is NO FILTER SOCKS!!!!! Want a roller. Have been looking at Trigger Platinum 39 but see mixed reviews of the roller. Better options available?? May need ac pump so will have to cut hole. Sump will be in basement with everything except tank.

Next is thoughts on the pump. Its going to have to climb 14 feet, have 4 or 5 90s, and about 10 feet horizontal from basement to main floor. Want to be able to run UV, GFO, etc off manifold if need be. Was thinking originally 2 Vectra L2s but don't think they will last or be enough with the head pressure. I'm a fan of 5x tank turnover so will need around 750-800gph at tank. Now leaning toward Iwaki or reefflo and buying an extra to have laying around. Would really like DC but Abyzz seems to be only option and not sure I want to spend that on a pump.

Lighting. Tank will be roughly 60x26x25. Was thinking 4 XR15 blues. Maybe 5?? Or maybe 3 XR30s. Mixed tank but definitely want some good sticks like I had before. Not opposed to kessil, had 2 AP 700s before and liked them besides the software.

Tank circulation. Another problem is I don't want to see a pump on the end of the tank. Not sure there is a way around this. Was thinking maybe 2 gyres at return line end of tank mounted vertically pushing and pulling. Not sure it will be enough flow. Maybe 2 MP40s at box end and one on the other end. Maybe 1 gyre each end since they don't look like headphones.

Any suggestions and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Here is a picture of my previous tank , so this is where I want to get back to and then some.
20200814_153926.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next is thoughts on the pump. Its going to have to climb 14 feet, have 4 or 5 90s, and about 10 feet horizontal from basement to main floor. Want to be able to run UV, GFO, etc off manifold if need be. Was thinking originally 2 Vectra L2s but don't think they will last or be enough with the head pressure. I'm a fan of 5x tank turnover so will need around 750-800gph at tank. Now leaning toward Iwaki or reefflo and buying an extra to have laying around. Would really like DC but Abyzz seems to be only option and not sure I want to spend that on a pump.
I have a 180g DT on main floor and a sump in the basement. Plumbing goes thru a few sweeping 90°s vertically/horizontally and about a 15-20ft run..

This pump ive owned for 15yrs and is still working without a single issue.

Rock solid performer.
Powerful.
Quiet.
Perfect.

If it died tmrw, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I probably just jinxed myself.... but Soooo worth the investment

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back