Help with Nitrates.

VtecGuy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old. A few weeks ago my green birdsnest started going downhill quick after a 2 month growth spurt. Then I started getting cyano. I ordered the hannah kits and just as I suspected my phosphate was 0.43 and my nitrates were 0.00. I turned off my skimmer and my UV and I lowered my fuge light from 18 hours to 6 hours. I then ordered neonitro from brightwell which arrived about a week later and the first day I dosed 8ml. Tested 24hrs later and phos was 0.10 and nitrate was 0.00. The second day I added 10ml of neonitro and tested 24hrs later. My numbers were phos 0.19 nitrate 0.00. I added the recommended dose again this morning. My question is once I get the No3 and Po4 to acceptable levels how do I maintenance dose neonitro? Also, is there something else I should be doing?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would feed more frozen foods to help bring nutrient levels up as well as dosing and testing. Once you have reached desired levels I would then test weekly to make sure levels stay where you like by maintaining skimming and refuge uptake.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

You may not need a fuge or as you already did reducing the photo period might help a bunch

I'd suggest as above feed more frozen foods daily to keep them elevated. Your skimmer helps remove larger particles so I wouldn't necessarily keep that offline - maybe just reduce period it runs daily.

OP
OP
VtecGuy88

VtecGuy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

You may not need a fuge or as you already did reducing the photo period might help a bunch

I'd suggest as above feed more frozen foods daily to keep them elevated. Your skimmer helps remove larger particles so I wouldn't necessarily keep that offline - maybe just reduce period it runs daily.
Tank is a barebottom 75 gallon with a 70 gallon sump. So roughly 120 gallons.

OP
OP
VtecGuy88

VtecGuy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

Tank is a barebottom 75 gallon with a 70 gallon sump. So roughly 120 gallons.

OP
OP
VtecGuy88

VtecGuy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 3 fish I was thinking about adding around 8-10 pajama cardinals. Would that be ok?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only have 3 fish I was thinking about adding around 8-10 pajama cardinals. Would that be ok?
Agreed I would add more fish as well. Need more poo in the tank!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back