Help! with Nitrites

  • Thread starter Thread starter EllWay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EllWay

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2025
Messages
40
Reaction score
24
Location
Leavenworth
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
10 days ago:

Fish-in (5), Fritzzyme 900 turbo start, 150 gallon tank
Ammonia is 0ppm (at day 3), Nitrite is 0.25-0.50, Nitrate 10ppm
,
I am concerned about Nitrites - I did 30% water change Should I not do that? and just wait it out for the Nitrobacter to kick in fully?

I also added additional TurboStart 3 days ago. I am also using Microbe-Lift Nite-Out

Today: 0ppm Ammonia and 0.5ppm Nitrite

What should I do? Should I using keep the Nite-Out or other products? water changes? What is unsafe nitrite levels? Please help! Thanks!
 
What test kit are you using? API is notorious for showing .25 ammonia and/or nitrite.

But you have fish in the tank, fish are always pooping and some food always rotting somewhere, so trace amounts of ammonia always entering the water. I consider .25 to be zero on a working aquarium.
 
What test kit are you using? API is notorious for showing .25 ammonia and/or nitrite.

But you have fish in the tank, fish are always pooping and some food always rotting somewhere, so trace amounts of ammonia always entering the water. I consider .25 to be zero on a working aquarium.
Yes, using API. It seems accurate with my other tanks, showing the blue color @ 0ppm Nitrite. Definitely some amount still in the new tanks. But I guess I will stop water changes. ?? Thanks for the encouraging words!
 
Yes, using API. It seems accurate with my other tanks, showing the blue color @ 0ppm Nitrite. Definitely some amount still in the new tanks. But I guess I will stop water changes. ?? Thanks for the encouraging words!

Certainly do not do a water change to lower nitrite. That’s a wasted effort. I’d stop testing it and ignore it, unless you need to see if it is interfering with nitrate testing.
 
Certainly do not do a water change to lower nitrite. That’s a wasted effort. I’d stop testing it and ignore it, unless you need to see if it is interfering with nitrate testing.
Thank you! You are right about the water changes...exhausting and not helpful for elimination
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new