Help with out of control hairy mushrooms

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a few years now but I’ve lost the battle in my tank with an invasive hairy mushroom. From what I can tell nothing will eat these guys and It has completely overtaken my tank. I’ve had to move my SPS corals to racks. My question is, is there any LPS coral that I can put on top of or next to these hairy mushrooms that will not die and take hold on the rock. I was hoping to get some torch corals and maybe an sea anemone?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a few years now but I’ve lost the battle in my tank with an invasive hairy mushroom. From what I can tell nothing will eat these guys and It has completely overtaken my tank. I’ve had to move my SPS corals to racks. My question is, is there any LPS coral that I can put on top of or next to these hairy mushrooms that will not die and take hold on the rock. I was hoping to get some torch corals and maybe an sea anemone?

I do not know about torches, but my golden hammer drew the shorter stick, thankfully I acted quickly before losing entire polyps, took a month or so to heal back somewhat

Are they in the dozens or approaching 3 digit amounts? You could individually feed them hydroxide, not all at once though

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thousands of them. I’ve tried military grade lasers. This was very effective but you have to keep up with them or they will grow back. I’ve tried F-Aptasia, this is a fantastic product and is just like Aptasia X except that it forms a harden shell. Kills most of them but if you don’t keep up, that keep coming back.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thousands of them. I’ve tried military grade lasers. This was very effective but you have to keep up with them or they will grow back. I’ve tried F-Aptasia, this is a fantastic product and is just like Aptasia X except that it forms a harden shell. Kills most of them but if you don’t keep up, that keep coming back.
In true huckleberry finn fashion, I'd have people pay for the privilege of getting to kill invasive aliens with military grade lasers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Inject in center with Kalwasser powder diluted with tank water. They will wilt

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In true huckleberry finn fashion, I'd have people pay for the privilege of getting to kill invasive aliens with military grade lasers
People love it, they like to put on the laser glasses too and complain when the battery wears out! Hahaha

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inject in center with Kalwasser powder diluted with tank water. They will wilt
Only effective on the small and medium ones. For the large ones whatever, some of the small left over tissue become a new mushroom. It’s like the trouble with tribbles episode from Star Trek but under water.

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know about torches, but my golden hammer drew the shorter stick, thankfully I acted quickly before losing entire polyps, took a month or so to heal back somewhat

Are they in the dozens or approaching 3 digit amounts? You could individually feed them hydroxide, not all at once though

What about putting in the tank cooler mushrooms to outcompete the green hairy mushrooms. Does anyone know how different variety of mushrooms would work out. Would one species just dominant the others?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about putting in the tank cooler mushrooms to outcompete the green hairy mushrooms. Does anyone know how different variety of mushrooms would work out. Would one species just dominant the others?
The4se are die-hard mushrooms. I dont believe they can be outcompeted and in fact may outcompete new ones. If you were close to me- id be buying a bunch. Mine stay in one place and cause no issues.
They can be cut with a razor at the very base also for removal.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the green hairy mushrooms? Rhodactis I believe? They have exploded in my tank as well, out-competing other mushrooms and even xenia and Texas trash palys.

Following along because pretty soon I'm going to need to beat them back as well.

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the green hairy mushrooms? Rhodactis I believe? They have exploded in my tank as well, out-competing other mushrooms and even xenia and Texas trash palys.

Following along because pretty soon I'm going to need to beat them back as well.
Yes I believe these are Rhodactus. I’m in the process of moving all my SPS corals to tiles, placing them on drag racks away from
The mushrooms. I will probably get a new tank and make it my SPS tank.

OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The4se are die-hard mushrooms. I dont believe they can be outcompeted and in fact may outcompete new ones. If you were close to me- id be buying a bunch. Mine stay in one place and cause no issues.
They can be cut with a razor at the very base also for removal.

Haha they are definitely for sale or take as much as you want and trade me something

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I guess one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. I know many people who would think a tank like that looks great in and of itself. I like a shroom-covered rock myself; maybe if you do start another tank with just your shrooms, not so packed in with other stuff, you would enjoy them more. Best wishes with which ever direction you go! :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4315ACE7-8A36-4BA9-892F-4DC512261161.jpeg

I found this old photo of a tank I once had with a shroom-rock similar to yours... the tank might be a little cleaner and less packed than yours. I enjoyed it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
huttyhawk

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4315ACE7-8A36-4BA9-892F-4DC512261161.jpeg

I found this old photo of a tank I once had with a shroom-rock similar to yours... the tank might be a little cleaner and less packed than yours. I enjoyed it.
Your tank looks great!
I’ve been really slacking on my husbandry, haven’t done a water change in a year. My GHL KH director has been on autopilot now and the tank just runs itself.
Cash on my end. Not joking.
Location ?
Cash on my end. Not joking.
Location ?
Maryland

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back