OK, what's the deal with mushrooms?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if I've got this right (based on my own observations and online info).

You put mushrooms in your tank and they get to decide where they will live.

Being a noob, I glued a green mushroom to a frag plug and placed it in a frag rack. A day later, I witnessed with my own eyes that mushroom remove himself from the plug.

I then did some reading that said mushrooms can move around the tank like anemones. They will settle and attach themselves when they find a place to their liking (low flow, low light).

So I thought I would provide a good location with a small bowl and a nice rock on the substrate in a low flow area for him to attach himself to. Apparently, he didn't care for my accomodations. Yesterday, he climbed out of the bowl and is now in another part of the tank.

Is this similar to your experience?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if I've got this right (based on my own observations and online info).

You put mushrooms in your tank and they get to decide where they will live.

Being a noob, I glued a green mushroom to a frag plug and placed it in a frag rack. A day later, I witnessed with my own eyes that mushroom remove himself from the plug.

I then did some reading that said mushrooms can move around the tank like anemones. They will settle and attach themselves when they find a place to their liking (low flow, low light).

So I thought I would provide a good location with a small bowl and a nice rock on the substrate in a low flow area for him to attach himself to. Apparently, he didn't care for my accomodations. Yesterday, he climbed out of the bowl and is now in another part of the tank.

Is this similar to your experience?
Gluing soft corals in general is a bad idea, it can easily cut off circulation and cause necrosis, they will detach themselves whenever they're in an inadequate environment, place it in a medium-low, moderate light area and they should attach themselves, you could also place them in a basket with some holes for flow and some rubble and they also may attach themselves

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem is in trying to glue it, they won't be glued down, and will drift in the flow. I find the best way is to use a small plastic cup (pierce some holes in the sides for some minimal flow) put rubble in the bottom and put the mushroom on the rubble, it will attach itself in a week or 2, then move the rubble where you want.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back