Help with overflow outlet please (tank upgrade)

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not be using the right terminology, but I am thinking about having a custom made tank and I would like some input on the type of outlet in the tank I should choose.

The tank would be 48 x 24 x 22 high and run on a Vectra M2 DC pump. To start with it will be softies and LPS (transfer from my sumpless 75 gallons) but down the line I would like SPS also, or at least try it. The bioload will be medium with about 12 fish.

I’ve seen some tanks where there are two separate outlets on each side of the overflow box (mine will be centered and equipped with a bean animal system).

I’ve seen some tanks that have a single outlet with two nozzles and some with one outlet with a single nozzle.

My design is not decided on yet but so far they said it would be a single outlet, single nozzle. They said it would give the right amount of flow. But I’m wondering if having one on each side of the overflow would be better ? Do I need a bigger pump for that ? Or at least two nozzles if a single outlet ?

What are the pros and cons of each type and which do you like best and recommend ?

Thanks !

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might not be using the right terminology, but I am thinking about having a custom made tank and I would like some input on the type of outlet in the tank I should choose.

The tank would be 48 x 24 x 22 high and run on a Vectra M2 DC pump. To start with it will be softies and LPS (transfer from my sumpless 75 gallons) but down the line I would like SPS also, or at least try it. The bioload will be medium with about 12 fish.

I’ve seen some tanks where there are two separate outlets on each side of the overflow box (mine will be centered and equipped with a bean animal system).

I’ve seen some tanks that have a single outlet with two nozzles and some with one outlet with a single nozzle.

My design is not decided on yet but so far they said it would be a single outlet, single nozzle. They said it would give the right amount of flow. But I’m wondering if having one on each side of the overflow would be better ? Do I need a bigger pump for that ? Or at least two nozzles if a single outlet ?

What are the pros and cons of each type and which do you like best and recommend ?

Thanks !
I am no expert I just play one on the internet.

Hypothetically having the inflow concentrated on one side and the outflow in the middle could lead to some sort of dead zone where water on the opposite side is not being turned over. . . in reality I am not sure if this is truly an issue, especially if you have wave makers circulating the water inside the display.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in reality I am not sure if this is truly an issue, especially if you have wave makers circulating the water inside the display.
Thanks for your input. I would have at least 2 powerheads in the tank. I saw a tank with the one nozzle setup at the store where they make the tanks and it had really nice flow everywhere, not just on one side.

It was smaller than the one I will have though. But I suppose the pump wasn’t as powerful also.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts:

You're going to love this new tank. Standard 75 gallon tanks are awesome, but going to 24" wide and having a sump will change your reefing life.

Personally, I would either want 2 outlets (1 for each side), or I would put the overflow and single return on 1 of the 24" sides...peninsula style. As you and Josh said, you'll have multiple wavemakers/powerheads to eliminate dead spots especially on the surface. But, for aesthetic purposes, and for making sure to not have a dead spot on 1 side, I would go with 2 outlets.

You wouldn't need a bigger pump for 2 outlets. It looks like the Vectra M2 has a max gph of 2000gph (likely end up with half of that after head losses), and the outlet is 1". So, I would come from the pump with 1" hose and PVC. Then use a 1" tee. Then reduce after the tee to 3/4" to 2 bulkheads into the tank. I would use as little loc-line or nozzle as possible, and maybe wouldn't use any at all.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two is better than one right? I am also no expert, but I’m definitely in the two camp. It may be harder to get it initially dialed in, but once you’ve done so it will be better. If it was possible, you could have infinite flow (as long as it was gentle, softy flow) It may also give you the option to provide more direct flow to the sps you want to add in the future. It seems like you are limiting yourself in that size tank with only one in and one out

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, for aesthetic purposes, and for making sure to not have a dead spot on 1 side, I would go with 2 outlets.
That’s what I figure, too. I’m already maxed out on budget with that project. It’s very expensive and even more so because I’m having them install the whole thing and do the tank transfer (I can’t do it myself). The good news is everything will have been calculated perfectly. These guys are pros, not diy’ers.

I called them just now and they said it’s easily doable and would cost very little. They are going to calculate the difference on the pump output by doing that so I’ll be sure to still have the right pump.

I would come from the pump with 1" hose and PVC. Then use a 1" tee. Then reduce after the tee to 3/4" to 2 bulkheads into the tank. I would use as little loc-line or nozzle as possible, and maybe wouldn't use any at all.

I’m not sure what you mean by « using as little loc-line or nozzle as possible ». This is how they do it. With this change I asked for, there would be one on each side. Is this what you are saying you wouldn’t use ?

1695675348704.jpeg

If it was possible, you could have infinite flow (as long as it was gentle, softy flow)
I have no idea what « infinite flow » is. Can you explain it to me? Would you have an example in a video ?

It may also give you the option to provide more direct flow to the sps you want to add in the future.
That’s true.

It seems like you are limiting yourself in that size tank with only one in and one out
Besides flow for SPS, do you see any other limitations ?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called them just now and they said it’s easily doable and would cost very little. They are going to calculate the difference on the pump output by doing that so I’ll be sure to still have the right pump.
Yeah, it's just 1 more hole to drill and a couple more fittings. Shouldn't cost more than, IDK, 50 bucks? It won't change your pump specs. Teeing to 2 returns won't give you more head loss, at least for our purposes.
I’m not sure what you mean by « using as little loc-line or nozzle as possible ». This is how they do it. With this change I asked for, there would be one on each side. Is this what you are saying you wouldn’t use ?

1695675348704.jpeg
That ribbed looking plumbing that you can bend and direct is called loc-line. I personally hate it, as I think it's an eyesore, it gives algae something to collect around, and it does slow down your flow rate. Most people, it seem like, use it. I just don't like it. I would just let the bulkhead go right into the tank. Not everyone will agree with me there.

Looking at that diagram, what I would do:

I would use tubing from the pump at the very bottom to where that 3rd elbow would be, eliminating joints and the first two 90s. Then I would change that elbow into a Tee, with one outlet going straight up to a return and the other outlet going horizontally before an elbow takes it up to the other return.

It sounds like they know what they are doing, though.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let the bulkhead go right into the tank. Not everyone will agree with me there.
If I have this loc-line and I do not like it down the line, can I just remove it ? This way I have two choices instead of one. I do like them myself though, aesthetically. I also like that they can be aimed any direction you want.

Oh, and they said they need to add a 90 degree elbow if I need two outlets but that the output from the pump would be compensated by the flow not being restricted by a single output. Not sure if I understood correctly though. But as you say, they said it shouldn’t change the flow much.

I would use tubing from the pump at the very bottom to where that 3rd elbow would be, eliminating joints and the first two 90s. Then I would change that elbow into a Tee, with one outlet going straight up to a return and the other outlet going horizontally before an elbow takes it up to the other return.

This diagram is the basic one. I don’t know if mine will be the exact same. They are currently doing a 3-D image of my design so we can work on it. I’ll post it here when it’s done and you can five me your opinion if you wish. :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have this loc-line and I do not like it down the line, can I just remove it ?
Yes. It comes apart at each "joint". It does take a little pressure. You just bend it until it comes apart.

Like I said, most people seem to like it. I hate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back