Help with Pest (maybe?) ID?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fourty9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fourty9

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
5
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm a new reefer and I just got a hammer frag yesterday from my LFS. Before introducing to my DT I dipped with Coral RX for 5-7 minutes. During the dip I stirred the solution and blasted the frag with a turkey baster to try to get everything off. This morning I took a look and saw this orange thing on the side of the frag. Is this planaria? I thought Coral RX was supposed to kill planaria?

Also is that a new head/tentacle forming right above the orange thing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Water Params:
24 Gal Cube
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 33
CA: 450
Alk: 5.8
Mag: 1380
PO4: 0.03
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 7.8

image_6487327.JPG
 
Is it moving? Are you able to get any better photos? Try shining a flashlight at it while taking the photo
 
Is it moving? Are you able to get any better photos? Try shining a flashlight at it while taking the photo
No, it doesnt seem to move. It hasnt moved from that spot all day. Here might be a better photo?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7851.jpeg
    IMG_7851.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 66
maybe just a bit of sponge? If it's not moving (also check at night) it is not likely to be a predator. You could try touching it and seeing what kind of texture it had and whether or not there was any kind of reaction, but it's small enough that it may be hard to tell.
 
maybe just a bit of sponge? If it's not moving (also check at night) it is not likely to be a predator. You could try touching it and seeing what kind of texture it had and whether or not there was any kind of reaction, but it's small enough that it may be hard to tell.
It's not moving at all and hasn't moved since I saw it yesterday. Maybe I'll just let it go... As gtguy256 said, could just be coralline algae that's lightened? I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything moves or even grows larger. Thanks for the help!
 
Ya new bud but they don’t ever seem to get bigger or grow into anything like when a coral splits.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new