Help with plumbing return line

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to create a system to pump clean water into my tank after a water change. I think I'm understanding the necessary components but as I've never plumbed anything before I'm not certain if I'm missing anything!

I want to use a 10 gallon bucket for mixing the new water to prep it for the change, and I would like to be able to use the same pump for mixing and for pumping into the tank. I was thinking of T-ing off the return line so that I can close the return line and open the other to circulate the bucket, and then close the bucket line and open the return to fill the tank.

The parts I plan to use are as follows:
Bronco 10 gallon trash can (https://www.carlislefsp.com/color-coded-products/bronco-waste-containers/34101002) - listed as food safe, so I think that is the right kind of plastic?
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 1.5 140 GPH Water Pump - maximum head height is 6' which should be plenty; it's 36" from the floor to the top of my tank.
1/2" vinyl tubing with insert fittings

A rough diagram of how I think it would be assembled:
1608842111499.png

For the return I plan to use a premade return nozzle with a rigid U-shaped part that hooks over the side of the tank.

Here's where I am less sure what I'm doing, though:
1) How can I make this "one channel open, one channel closed" with the T fitting? From what I found it sounds like I might need 2 ball valves to control each path separately? So it would go pump output -> T fitting -> ball valve on each line out of the T. Is there a better way to set this up?
2) Back siphoning. What check valve is recommended?
3) The pump says it cannot be used externally, but can run in 1/2" of water. Am I correct in understanding that means I could theoretically almost drain the bucket totally with it?

Thanks very much in advance! Please let me know if there's anything I'm overlooking!

Gabe.soriano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to create a system to pump clean water into my tank after a water change. I think I'm understanding the necessary components but as I've never plumbed anything before I'm not certain if I'm missing anything!

I want to use a 10 gallon bucket for mixing the new water to prep it for the change, and I would like to be able to use the same pump for mixing and for pumping into the tank. I was thinking of T-ing off the return line so that I can close the return line and open the other to circulate the bucket, and then close the bucket line and open the return to fill the tank.

The parts I plan to use are as follows:
Bronco 10 gallon trash can (https://www.carlislefsp.com/color-coded-products/bronco-waste-containers/34101002) - listed as food safe, so I think that is the right kind of plastic?
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 1.5 140 GPH Water Pump - maximum head height is 6' which should be plenty; it's 36" from the floor to the top of my tank.
1/2" vinyl tubing with insert fittings

A rough diagram of how I think it would be assembled:
1608842111499.png

For the return I plan to use a premade return nozzle with a rigid U-shaped part that hooks over the side of the tank.

Here's where I am less sure what I'm doing, though:
1) How can I make this "one channel open, one channel closed" with the T fitting? From what I found it sounds like I might need 2 ball valves to control each path separately? So it would go pump output -> T fitting -> ball valve on each line out of the T. Is there a better way to set this up?
2) Back siphoning. What check valve is recommended?
3) The pump says it cannot be used externally, but can run in 1/2" of water. Am I correct in understanding that means I could theoretically almost drain the bucket totally with it?

Thanks very much in advance! Please let me know if there's anything I'm overlooking!
1) ball valves would be the cleanest imo a little more expensive you should probably go with just cheap ones since it’s not under your tanks. I’m thinking the Home Depot special just make sure it turns well in stores
2)I wouldn’t bother with a check valve if you put the the filling hose high enough in your display tank it wouldnt back siphon. At the end that goes back in your tank I’d use a T fitting with a couple of small holes drilled in the bottom too so you’re not blowing sand everywhere.
3) I wouldn’t be worried about running it dry for a couple seconds each time I work for a service company and we use rio’s but really any pump won’t be affected too much from being run like that. Look at inappropriate reefers sump pump he just bought on Amazon. He’s on YouTube and it seems to be a pretty sweet deal and it pulls water from the bottom so you only have a tiny puddle left over

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back