Help with Prazipro & Metroplex to treat internal parasites

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bella Goby that appears to have internal parasites. Pinched belly and white stringy poop.

I caught this pretty late and the fish is very skinny.

The fish can't be removed from the DT (tried my nocturnal netting normal traps for 4 days). Rocks can't be removed as one is 75lbs.

So I'm treating the tank with Prazipro dosing and Metroplex / Focus laced foods.

I have finished my 1st round of Prazipro (72hrs) 2 days ago and have been feeding the Metroplex/Focus food for 4 days.

The Bella seems to be doing much better. Pinched belly seems gone and it's now eating much better.

Tommorow will be 5 full days post initial Prazipro dosing and I was planning on a 2nd dose.

Should I do a 2nd Prazipro dose?

How long should I continue to feed Metroplex/Focus laced foods?

What other measures should be taken?

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing of the second dose of PraziPro depends on the water temperature and salinity. Have a look at the link below.

As for Metronidazole treatment, I would follow the instructions on the packaging. Treatment usually lasts about two weeks if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing of the second dose of PraziPro depends on the water temperature and salinity. Have a look at the link below.

As for Metronidazole treatment, I would follow the instructions on the packaging. Treatment usually lasts about two weeks if I remember correctly.

Link seems specific for flukes. I'm pretty sure my fish has something intestinal.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For intestinal worms and flagellates, you would normally use metronidazole for treatment, not PraziPro. I thought your fish also had flukes or internal parasites.

Probably my ignorance in fish diseaae. I believe it's just something intestinal...stringy poop and pinched belly were the symptoms.

No other fish in tank show any issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Internal . . . and PraziPro or API General Cure would and should work. White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, fish eats voraciously but still seems to be losing weight suggests internal worms and Praziquantel (praziPro) as well as Fenbendazole, Levamisole, or Piperazine will help with this.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal . . . and PraziPro or API General Cure would and should work. White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, fish eats voraciously but still seems to be losing weight suggests internal worms and Praziquantel (praziPro) as well as Fenbendazole, Levamisole, or Piperazine will help with this.

You nailed the diagnosis:

White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, fish eats voraciously but still seems to be losing weight.

After 1sr round of Prazipro and 4 days of Metro/Focus food. The pinched stomach seems gone and the fish color is getting better.

Does that mean yes to 2nd round of Prazipro?

Should I continue Metroplex/ Focus laced feeding?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You nailed the diagnosis:

White stringy feces, pinched stomach, fish has faded coloration, fish eats voraciously but still seems to be losing weight.

After 1sr round of Prazipro and 4 days of Metro/Focus food. The pinched stomach seems gone and the fish color is getting better.

Does that mean yes to 2nd round of Prazipro?

Should I continue Metroplex/ Focus laced feeding?
yes and Yes

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ScottJ437

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining on to this thread, I have a pair of clowns, some inverts, LPS and some softies as well as a clown goby. One of the two clowns has the same symptoms. I bought some of the API General Cure and Focus.

1. How is this best served? (I bought some pellets, but they have been eating a frozen reef mix and cylopeeze) I watched a video about using pellets, API General Cure, and Epsom salts?

2. Is this reef safe? (for the inverts and coral?) if not can I do a water change, using the old water create a temporary QT feed in there and then return back to the DT? (potentially each day I serve this?)

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the whole tank and still lost the fish. It didn't impact the tank except for maybe the pod collection.

- Prazipro the whole tank 2 times
- MetroPlex & Focus mixed in with food for 2 weeks

ScottJ437

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the whole tank and still lost the fish. It didn't impact the tank except for maybe the pod collection.

- Prazipro the whole tank 2 times
- MetroPlex & Focus mixed in with food for 2 weeks
Thanks for your reply. Non issues with inverts / corals?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back