Help with proper flow equipment

Jamborick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this last week in the equipment section and got one comment, thought I’d try here to see if I can get additional opinions.

Setting up a Reefer 425xl, I’m getting into the hobby slow and don’t know what livestock and coral types I’m going to end up. I also don’t want to be limited by poor equipment purchases and don’t want to have to buy twice, I’d rather get it right the first time. So far I have a Neptune Cor 20 return pump and am getting ready to purchase powerheads. Im looking at 2 Maxspect Gyre XF330s for the sides and either Tunez 6095s or Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2s for the back. At this point I can’t tell if I’m making good decisions or am a BRS marketing victim. Since everyone has more experience than me, any feedback would be appreciated.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well whats good about BRS is they probably have tested it and made a video about most of the product they sell. They also have recommended products that they use but that is strictly based on your budget because most of it is high end equipment. I cant comment on the Maxspect Gyres because i have never used them before. Use can also go to the sells thread on here and see if you can find some used equipment for a little cheaper.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of the parts that you mentioned are quality pieces of equipment. Everyone has their preferred brands but those items will serve you well.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely not poor decisions in equipment. All of those r top notch pumps. The 2 gyres will turn your tank at 100 percent roughly 40 x's by themselves. Then the other pair will allow you to throttle back the gyres. I plan of adding a Gyre 350 in a few weeks to my tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed...always best to buy quality to the point that fits within your budget. As mentioned, all good choices and in a lot of ways it is a personal preference.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. There’s nothing more expensive than buying the same item twice because of a poor initial purchase. I’d rather research, save and hopefully buy right the first time.

This is true to an extent.

But at the same time you shouldn't put off setting up a tank because "I don't have proper flow in the tank". For a new tank, you could probably start somewhere with 10-15x turnover with powerheads and have great success. Will probably need more flow as corals grow down the line, but cross that bridge when you get to it, it could be YEARS down the road.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say buy the best equipment you can within your budget and just research each piece before you buy it (not after! Lol)

And Welcome to R2R!!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest doing lots of research, If you can purchase all top of the line equipment by all means do so but it’s absolutely not necessary for a successful reef.. I have always use the most inexpensive equipment I can find that will get the job done ;)

OP
OP
J

Jamborick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the feedback, especially Pntbll687 and Retro Reefer. I’m going to get the powerheads and hold off on the gyres until I add coral.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 1.jpg

Remmebr this hobby Doesn't have to be that complecated or seriously expensive! Most of it is just hype and making a sale!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back