Help with receding scoly..........

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my warpaint scoly for about a year now and just recently it started receding and im bit worried.All parameters are ok and not sure where to start.Its been in same spot for 8 months also so not sure whats going on.Any advice would be great.Im gonna try feeding it every other day i think and see if that can help bring it around.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you provide a before and after pic if available? sometimes these things happen out of the blue. i had a yellow tipped torch that was fine after even fragging a couple of times then out of nowhere it got brown jelly (never had brown jelly before ever).

josepy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i lost a scolly due to swinging alk that a bad test kit wasnt telling me. they hate low salinity aswell. but other then that they are pretty bullet proof.

OP
OP
P

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im gonna keep testing alk and see if thats a issue.will get pics.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new fish? I had one start receding when one of my hippo tangs started picking at it trying to steal food.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it ever eaten? I've heard from some that they don't do well longterm, but no experience myself. Lmk if you need to use some hospital space. Brian picked up all of his SPS yesterday, and I have a lot of room.

OP
OP
P

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it ever eaten? I've heard from some that they don't do well longterm, but no experience myself. Lmk if you need to use some hospital space. Brian picked up all of his SPS yesterday, and I have a lot of room.

It still eats when i feed it.Thing is during the day it will shrink up maybe 2-3 times a day at random.Not end of light period or anything.Just whenever.And now im seeing more and more skeleton on outside edge.Im gonna get all new test stuff in next day or so and see if maybe something is up.I have been feeding one time a week limpits food but im gonna go to feeding every other day and see if helps.Tank is doing so good right now other then this one scoly pretty much.............

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check late in the night with a flashlight to see if something is messing with it. Bill's chalice that I tried to save had bristle worms taking food back out of it's mouth after lights out. By the time I found out it was too late-not strong enough to eat and receded too much.

Acropolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the bulbs recently, flow maybe, were you consistent with feeding prior ? Usually we change something on them.....

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of people being able to keep them alive much past a year :( even with feedings regularly and everything...........

Acropolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of people being able to keep them alive much past a year :( even with feedings regularly and everything...........

Really ? Never tried to keep one but they seem like they would be a hardy coral. So they're like indo elegance and goniopora....enigmatic wasters ?

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I've had for about 2 1/2 years. NOW with that being said It looked great for about 6 months and all of a sudden it receded and I couldn't save it. I was lazy and left the skeleton in the tank and after about a month I noticed something growing on it. Well it turns out it regenerated like I have seen some plates do. Now it is 2 scolys growing together. Not very big though. each one is about 1 1/2"-2" across but doing well and looking good. I will try and find some pictures. But for your original question I don't know what to tell you that others haven't already....

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now

Scoly.jpg

When I first got it

June2009082.jpg

And after looking back at my pictures I have had it since at least Sept. 2008. so it is almost 3 years old now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting..........I always wondered about life span of some corals.T5 Bulbs are going on 8 months old so wouldnt think par would drop that low that would make mad.I have been running my vortech bit higher but the scoly is blocked pretty much from high flow and is on far side of tank.Im jut gonna keep feeding away and see what happens i guess.I fed it today again and ate a bunch.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check at night for anthropodes on the bare part of scolly. They like to eat at one point and work their way to the mouth. They played hell on my scolly's. They were like ants on apiece candy. I used Interceptor in my tank and all my problems stopped.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 1 year problem specific to just the warpaint scolys or all scolys in general? I have very little experience with them, would be cool to learn more. Hope you are able to rescue yours!

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check at night for anthropodes on the bare part of scolly. They like to eat at one point and work their way to the mouth. They played hell on my scolly's. They were like ants on apiece candy. I used Interceptor in my tank and all my problems stopped.
I have those big clear pods all over my tank at night too.. they used to eat at my acans. Ill bet they killed my scollys too..I've lost 4 this year. What is interceptor? How did it help you? Where did you get it from?

Back