Help with refugium components

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I’m ready to put a refugium into the sump. I have a 12’ x 14’ section in the sump for it. A few questions:
1. For now I am just going to use a light bulb in a fixture from the hardware store, what kind of lightbulb do you guys recommend?

2. What do you recommend to use in the refugium? A piece of live rock, live sand, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I’m ready to put a refugium into the sump. I have a 12’ x 14’ section in the sump for it. A few questions:
1. For now I am just going to use a light bulb in a fixture from the hardware store, what kind of lightbulb do you guys recommend?

2. What do you recommend to use in the refugium? A piece of live rock, live sand, etc?

Thanks in advance!
You can get a grow light from lowes will work. I have always used a tunze led but a plant spectrum bulb will do.
And in refugium i put a bio block in mine or bio balls in bag.
Live rock will work great too. As far as sand i dont use because i can keep sump cleaner at maintenance time.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew Chaeto just fine with a 150w 3500°K compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). Nowadays since LEDs have mostly replaced them, just find the most powerful LED you can or a cheap grow bulb. It ought to be sufficient for now.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're using a generic 9 watt LED full spectrum grow bulb from the hardware store & it does fine. The bulb was $15.

As far as other materials, I would stuff it with as much reef rock as you can. Either dry or cultured will do the job. This will provide a place for your Pods to grow. I've always had a deep sand bed in mine (5" - 7") + live rock, but it will depend on the depth that you have avaiable. Once you add the rock, if you are not certain that you already have a Pod population in your system, buy a 16oz bottle from a local hobbiest or online vendor to get the culture stated. It will grow from there.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 42.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back