Help with replacing LEDs

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping one of the resident DIY lighting geniuses can help me with this - If it is possible.
I have 4 aquarium hoods, one for a 36 gal bowfront (from Petsmart) and 2 10 gal (walmart) and a 5 gal (I think Petsmart)
They all have cheap white LEDs,
I'd love to know if it is possible to replace them with something coral would like, or even just something better for saltwater color.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything is possible, the question will be:

- Cost efficiency
- Amount of work required.

If you really want to keep the hoods, you might need to accommodate some space inside of them for active cooling (e.g. a fan). And the space may be very tight.

If you're entirely on cost efficiency, buying a reasonable import LED fixture will simply be cheaper. There are a few brands which are much better than the old black-box variety lights that simply don't cost that much anymore, and after you're all done with a DIY the purchased fixture will be cheaper.

If you do want to modify, maybe some pictures would help in terms of what you're dealing with with space, clearances, coverage, etc.

Also, Coral is pretty broad. A full SPS-level light might be a stretch, but some adjustments for a softie tank would be totally reasonable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back