Help with stocking 20G Nuvo!

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay tank is cycled and I’m picking up my first fish tomorrow from the store! I have a forsure fish that I want and it’s a tailspot blenny 1000% love them and it’s going in all my smaller systems. After that I’m up in the air on what I want due to issues of size/compatibility.

Definitely getting
Tailspot blenny
shrimp (cleaner or blood)

Need some help deciding on
1) longnose hawk (comp w/ blenny)
2) Whitebanded possum wrasse (comp w/ blenny)
3) Azure damsels (3 too many?)
Clownfish (previous tank had want something different)

I know I can’t have all that in there and I’m interested in pairing either hawk or wrasse with the damsels. Or maybe just damsels.

Pic of tank to show aquascape.
IMG_9082.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose hawkfish is too big for a 20 gal. LA says minimum 30 gallons. I have mine in a 70 gallon, he is pretty active for a perching fish. No way would I put mine in anything smaller. Plus they can kill cleaner shrimp. Mine picked off a pepperment shrimp day one in the tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think 3 damsels in a 20 gal would be a warzone. I would stick with one. I have one of these and boy is he a butt in a 70, cant imagine having more than one.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose hawkfish is too big for a 20 gal. LA says minimum 30 gallons. I have mine in a 70 gallon, he is pretty active for a perching fish. No way would I put mine in anything smaller. Plus they can kill cleaner shrimp. Mine picked off a pepperment shrimp day one in the tank
I’ve heard mixed things and have seen people do them in 20g. Wife likes them so it was put onto list. They are cool fish and I wouldn’t mind not having the shrimp also.
I also think 3 damsels in a 20 gal would be a warzone. I would stick with one. I have one of these and boy is he a butt in a 70, cant imagine having more than one.
Thought on more then one was due to aggression. 3 gives them different targets as to not bully one specific fish in tank. Also azures are usually the calmer species of damsels if I’m not mistaken.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard mixed things and have seen people do them in 20g. Wife likes them so it was put onto list. They are cool fish and I wouldn’t mind not having the shrimp also.

Thought on more then one was due to aggression. 3 gives them different targets as to not bully one specific fish in tank. Also azures are usually the calmer species of damsels if I’m not mistaken.
My damsel killed the other two damsels in QT after 3 days of them being in there. That was a 32 gallon. Thats the only reason I say that :) mine could also just be more psycho than the rest. I put a bigger damsel in with him cause he was too aggressive and that one checked him along with my female maroon clown. You might not have the same issues with yours

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel killed the other two damsels in QT after 3 days of them being in there. That was a 32 gallon. Thats the only reason I say that :) mine could also just be more psycho than the rest. I put a bigger damsel in with him cause he was too aggressive and that one checked him along with my female maroon clown. You might not have the same issues with yours
What type of damsel? There’s so many!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put more than 3 or 4 fish in the tank, there are no hiding spaces.

Personally, besides the clownfish, I don't agree with your choices... tank too small for the hawkfish, the possum wrasse requires a more mature tank with more rock, and damsels in that size tank will just kill each other. Again its just my 2 cents, its your tank after all, but I would prefer peaceful nano fish like gobies and blennies

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put more than 3 or 4 fish in the tank, there are no hiding spaces.

Personally, besides the clownfish, I don't agree with your choices... tank too small for the hawkfish, the possum wrasse requires a more mature tank with more rock, and damsels in that size tank will just kill each other. Again its just my 2 cents, its your tank after all, but I would prefer peaceful nano fish like gobies and blennies
Thanks for the input! I’m only going to grab the tailspot blenny today and I’m planning out the rest for later on.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back