Help with stocking a 75 Gallon

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get some feedback on stocking for my 75 gallon, 3 ft long tank Innovative Marine 75 Int. I like smaller fish, but I’m worried if something is too small it might get lost.

Currently I have:

Cardinal Pajama - Sphaeramia nematoptera
Firefish - Nemateleotris magnifica
Hectori Goby - Koumansetta hectori
Watchman Goby - Cryptocentrus cinctus

Fish I’m considering:

I’d like to add a blenny, perhaps another Goby or two, a wrasse or two and in the future a clown or dwarf angel. I’m open to all suggestions. I'd like something active, with a good disposition and at least one herbivore. I'm also not opposed to a small group of something, perhaps some type of Anthias.

Bicolor Blenny - Ecsenius bicolor
Tailspot Blenny - Ecsenius stigmatura
Lawnmower Blenny - Salarias fasciatus

Fairy Wrasse – There are a lot of options in Cirrhilabrus. Perhaps Lubbock Fairy Wrasse (lubbocki), or Exquisite (exquisitus), hooded fairy (bathyphilus).

Court Jester Goby - Koumansetta rainfordi – Might be too small?

Second Watchman Goby – I’ve read a bunch of conflicting opinions, but it seems that my tank is large enough to add a second Watchman Goby. I’m thinking either Diamond Watchman Goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby - Valenciennea puellaris or wardii. I’d appreciate the groups opinion on this. I keep reading conflicting things about Diamonds being picky eaters that need a mature sand bed or that they readily eat frozen and dry foods.

Future Fish:

Pair Pink Skunk Clown - Amphiprion perideraion – I’m finding a lot of conflicting things about their temperament, but they seem to be considered one of the least aggressive clowns. If Ocellaris are less aggressive I’d probably go that route.

Angel Fish probably a coral beauty (Centropyge bispinosa) perhaps a Flame (Centropyge loricula)

Tank Details:

The tank has had fish for about 5 months. It is filled with CaribSea LifeRock and has ~3 inches of CaribSea Special Grade sand. Intention is to fill it with LPS, softies, zoas and some macro algae.

I would like the fish to be relatively invert safe. I enjoy watching crabs and shrimp in the tank. Currently I only have emerald crabs and very small hermits. At some point I will probably add more such as: pistol shrimp, pom pom crab, scarlet or blue leg hermits. If they start going after my coral, it will be a good excuse to rehome them in an invert only nano tank.

I am looking for easy to feed fish, that won’t eat pods. My ultimate goal (stop me if you’ve heard this before ) is to have a Dragonet or two. I starved one back in the late 90’s and I want redemption. I’m currently starting to cultivate phyto and pods. Even with potential for captive bred fish to eat frozen or pellets, I prefer not having anything else compete with the future Mandarin for food.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scissortail dartfish. Read that they do better in small groups, so it is a nice way to have a group.
I have 2 I really enjoy. I also have 2 pajama cardinal and 2 firefish and they get along fine.

A nice active invert could be coral banded shrimp. Mine is very active.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can wholeheartedly endorse midas and lawnmower blennies (they both get along and perform different tasks). With any firefish (or anything else shaped like a torpedo), a lid is essential. Coral beauty and flame dwarf angels are both good choices (you'll probably only be able to have one, though).

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you go for the Rainford’s, get a captive bred. They require a lot of pods/microfauna in the sand bed and can waste away like wild caught mandarins.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get some feedback on stocking for my 75 gallon, 3 ft long tank Innovative Marine 75 Int. I like smaller fish, but I’m worried if something is too small it might get lost.

Currently I have:

Cardinal Pajama - Sphaeramia nematoptera
Firefish - Nemateleotris magnifica
Hectori Goby - Koumansetta hectori
Watchman Goby - Cryptocentrus cinctus

Fish I’m considering:

I’d like to add a blenny, perhaps another Goby or two, a wrasse or two and in the future a clown or dwarf angel. I’m open to all suggestions. I'd like something active, with a good disposition and at least one herbivore. I'm also not opposed to a small group of something, perhaps some type of Anthias.

Bicolor Blenny - Ecsenius bicolor
Tailspot Blenny - Ecsenius stigmatura
Lawnmower Blenny - Salarias fasciatus

Fairy Wrasse – There are a lot of options in Cirrhilabrus. Perhaps Lubbock Fairy Wrasse (lubbocki), or Exquisite (exquisitus), hooded fairy (bathyphilus).

Court Jester Goby - Koumansetta rainfordi – Might be too small?

Second Watchman Goby – I’ve read a bunch of conflicting opinions, but it seems that my tank is large enough to add a second Watchman Goby. I’m thinking either Diamond Watchman Goby or a Tiger Watchman Goby - Valenciennea puellaris or wardii. I’d appreciate the groups opinion on this. I keep reading conflicting things about Diamonds being picky eaters that need a mature sand bed or that they readily eat frozen and dry foods.

Future Fish:

Pair Pink Skunk Clown - Amphiprion perideraion – I’m finding a lot of conflicting things about their temperament, but they seem to be considered one of the least aggressive clowns. If Ocellaris are less aggressive I’d probably go that route.

Angel Fish probably a coral beauty (Centropyge bispinosa) perhaps a Flame (Centropyge loricula)

Tank Details:

The tank has had fish for about 5 months. It is filled with CaribSea LifeRock and has ~3 inches of CaribSea Special Grade sand. Intention is to fill it with LPS, softies, zoas and some macro algae.

I would like the fish to be relatively invert safe. I enjoy watching crabs and shrimp in the tank. Currently I only have emerald crabs and very small hermits. At some point I will probably add more such as: pistol shrimp, pom pom crab, scarlet or blue leg hermits. If they start going after my coral, it will be a good excuse to rehome them in an invert only nano tank.

I am looking for easy to feed fish, that won’t eat pods. My ultimate goal (stop me if you’ve heard this before ) is to have a Dragonet or two. I starved one back in the late 90’s and I want redemption. I’m currently starting to cultivate phyto and pods. Even with potential for captive bred fish to eat frozen or pellets, I prefer not having anything else compete with the future Mandarin for food.

Thanks for the suggestions.
First off, Watchman Gobies are a name for two totally different genera. The Valenciennea and Cryptocentrus genus aren’t closely related. They also behave totally different. Cryptocentrus species mainly sit on guard watch the den with a potential Alpheus Shrimp in.
On the other hand, Valenciennea is a hyperactive genus. None of the species in this genus just sit and perch all day. They also decimate life from sandbeds. These guys get the majority of their nutrients from the life we have in our sandbeds. This is one thing people want them for… to clean sandbeds, but this generally sends them into a death sentence. Yes they will feed on frozen but unless you can pack as many nutrient rich foods as possible without nuking the tank, you’ll likely fail. Valenciennea puellaris is the most popular one however even this will likely starve to death in anything less than a 4’ tank. Valenciennea wardii is one we rarely keep and I have yet to find anyone who has kept them for their whole lifespan, I’ve found 1 year at the max so far.
Due to what I’ve said, I recommend Valenciennea species for 4’ tanks that are 3-5 years old, with 2.5-4” sand beds at a bare minimum.

Koumansetta rainfordi will likely fight with your current Koumansetta hectori, but also both of these gobies are again, sandsifting species. Although these are gobies we have slightly more success with they still aren’t amazing for smaller reefs. I unfortunately lost mine at the 8 month mark even though he was still feeding on nutrient rich foods and the nutrients from the sandbed. In a 3’ tank you may find this to be a different situation however I would still recommend against getting the rainfordi whilst you have the hectori.

Now, my favourite family! The wrasses :)
There are 1000s of wrasses which will fit into the tank. Unfortunately Paracheilinus species are off the list and since you only have a 3’ tank - ideally these need 4’ tanks or bigger depending on the species. We’ll also cross off Macropharyngodon and Anampses due to their diet of mainly pods. Although I will say that these two genera seem to have breaks between when they feed. The Halichoeres wrasses Also get crossed off although again, they do seem to be able to wait for their next feed and don’t eat a ton of pods during the day (I have had them cohabitate with Mandarins in a 3’ tank however you do need to keep ontop of Pods - although I’m sure you’ll be doing that anyway). This leaves us with the genus Cirrhilabrus in terms of the larger wrasses and this is where we go wild!
You can also mix several different species of Cirrhilabrus if you wish, and all 3 of those Cirrhilabrus you’ve mentioned are compatible with eachother. If you can give a price limit then I can also fish out some other species I’d personally keep in a 3’ tank which it seems me and you have a similar taste in wrasses.

As for the Angels, with the coral you want I’d avoid them. The dwarfs are known for nipping LPS and some will take out zoas quite happily.

Hopefully this helps, and the blennies should be alright just be cautious as they nip some coral for the calcium. The rest should be alright in your tank size though :)

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies.

I recommend Valenciennea species for 4’ tanks that are 3-5 years old, with 2.5-4” sand beds at a bare minimum.

Easy enough. I'm going to skip them. I'll also pass on the Angels.

You can also mix several different species of Cirrhilabrus if you wish, and all 3 of those Cirrhilabrus you’ve mentioned are compatible with eachother. If you can give a price limit then I can also fish out some other species I’d personally keep in a 3’ tank which it seems me and you have a similar taste in wrasses.

Thank you. For now I would like to stick to under $75-$100, ideally a bit less. Once the tank reaches 1-1.5 years I'll feel more comfortable going up to $150 ish, so I'd appreciate suggestions in both price points.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back