Help with sump baffle..

btyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a 150 gal tank and a 50 gal breeder sump that I made 1/4 plexiglass baffles real simple. But the problem I am having is that one of the baffles ( bubble trap ) broke free and now my fuge is real low and my water levels in my sump are not reliable at all my main concern is how would it affect my system to take the sump out for the 48 hours to re glue the sump together or is there a way I can fix it while the water is still in there I really don't want to hurt anything but I need it fixed.
1561899142323.jpeg
1561899124794.jpeg
1561899105842.jpeg

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last time, I had to replace my sump's baffles and I left my tank with out sump for 24 hrs only, was enough time to cure the silicone. I have to watch my alk that day and I kept my wave makers running to help for the ph.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to take it offline, drain and dry the section were the baffle will go. At a minimum, I'd give the baffle three days for the silicone to cure. The silicone you want is specifically made for plastics. HD has it, but it's not with all the other caulks in the Paint department. You have to go to where they sell acrylic sheet goods.
Silicone Plastic.jpg

OP
OP
B

btyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update for anyone who was interested.
I did take off line and I installed 3 extra power heads and put some chem blue bags hanging in front of them to help with levels ( worked great) and drained the sump I added extra support all the way around the seals in between baffles. It was down just short of 48 hours and I added some PVC to support mid baffle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back