Help with sump bubbles from plumbing pipe

jyguns91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone so I recently got a 36x20 tideline planet aquarium. It came with the tank,stand,and sump. My setup came with a Maggie muffler and 2 pipes for the overflow. For the sump I got 2 bulkheads one for the pump and one for the water going into the sump. So here is my problem I had a pump that could do max 750 gal an hour. I had to put the pump and the lowest speed and was getting so many bubbles coming out of the pipe feeding the sump. So I purchased an even smaller pump max 500 gal an hour. I can’t even get close to half and the pipe has so many bubbles. I really don’t know where to start. The bubbles are making a huge mess. Please help in any way you can. Let me know if you need any pictures. Thank you in advance

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try more gph and see what it does. Durso is going to be the least quiet of the overflow plumbing schemes. If you can’t tune it to your liking, you can re-do the pluming so that one of your drains is set up Herbie full siphon with a gate valve, and the other is an emergency drain. You’ll need to plumb in an up and over for the return line however.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jyguns91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try more gph and see what it does. Durso is going to be the least quiet of the overflow plumbing schemes. If you can’t tune it to your liking, you can re-do the pluming so that one of your drains is set up Herbie full siphon with a gate valve, and the other is an emergency drain. You’ll need to plumb in an up and over for the return line however.
I am not sure how that would work in my setup because I only have enough holes for a pipe with the Maggie muffler,and a hole for the return pump side.

Upvote 0

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how that would work in my setup because I only have enough holes for a pipe with the Maggie muffler,and a hole for the return pump side.
You’d need an up an over with separate plumbing. This would be your drain plumbing using your 2 holes currently:
IMG_3475.jpeg

And this would be your return:

IMG_3474.png

Obviously going that route would be a bit more involved. I would start with more flow and see if you can adjust to your liking. Just be aware that Durso standpipes are notoriously noisier than Herbie and BeanAnimal drain schematics.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back