Help with T5 Bulb Selection.

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Giesman Aurora. I am sps dominate. I have been using 2 Blue + and 2 Coral Plus along with their 4 banks of leds in the Auraora (Cree lamps) that put out a total of 300 watt. (75 per bank) My par is low being only 240 at the top and 90 on sand. Tank is 24 inches deep. I have their whites and only 15 because if I raise much more the tank is very white. Lose that windex look. My corals are growing well being adjusted to lower par. However I would like to raise the par so I can grow more sps 250-350 par and more chalices and lower light sps in the middle. I would like a bluer look. If I raise the whites what could I change in tank to keep growth but bluer. Also Corals growing but not as vibrant colors as I would like. Fixture 8.5 inches off water.

Any thoughts?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's low PAR. To confirm, your tank is 24" front to back or top to bottom? I usually refer to depth as front to back. I use an 8 bulb ATI fixture with 24" depth, 22" tall tank and get around 450 at the top with 250 at the bottom. I don't think you need help with bulb selection, but perhaps a more powerful fixture or more bulbs. Blue+ and Coral+ are the brightest T5 bulbs AFAIK.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Giesman Aurora. I am sps dominate. I have been using 2 Blue + and 2 Coral Plus along with their 4 banks of leds in the Auraora (Cree lamps) that put out a total of 300 watt. (75 per bank) My par is low being only 240 at the top and 90 on sand. Tank is 24 inches deep. I have their whites and only 15 because if I raise much more the tank is very white. Lose that windex look. My corals are growing well being adjusted to lower par. However I would like to raise the par so I can grow more sps 250-350 par and more chalices and lower light sps in the middle. I would like a bluer look. If I raise the whites what could I change in tank to keep growth but bluer. Also Corals growing but not as vibrant colors as I would like. Fixture 8.5 inches off water.

Any thoughts?
First, I think you can grow lots of sps in upper half anyway. Have you tried? If not, you could bump up the whites for more PAR for 4-6 hours, then back down for your viewing pleasure.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those PAR measurements seem quite low for the light being used... How did you measure PAR? Maybe try lowing the fixture if possible. Also how dirty is the water (yellow water will suck up a lot of PAR). You might also think of switching to pure actinic T5s to overcome the white from the LEDs.

Last edited:

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue par, will know later next week though as snagging a group meter to check. But I run an 8 bulb sunblaze fixture with center two bulbs pulled and replaced with Orphek led bars. Back to front:
Blue+
blue+
coral+
Orphek or 120UV
Orphek or Blue
Coral+
blue+
blue+
works well and gives good colors. Aesthetically pleasing and On the bluer side. Photo with an orange lense so takes some of that out in the shot.
tank is 48x24x16
A7EF34D6-034C-43F6-943D-9C140025D456.jpeg
B6A75A48-59DA-48D7-A6FD-13CCF9445615.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back